After seeing JR post http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...er-screw-50792 I thought I would change the caphead to this method of clamping.
After using the bike, seat post clamp for a few weeks ,http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...fication-66399
I decided to change it for an adjustable locking handle with an integral 6mm stud (see photo below). I was concern that I was going to slip and hit the rotating chuck while moving the bedstop. (I know! why donít I stop the lathe chuck before moving the bed stop. (Habit always done it and never had a problem)) Due to the size of the lathe and the bedstop I had to have the bike clamp really too tight to prevent the bedstop from moving, This also made it difficult to operate even with the chuck stopped. The new handle locks very tight with little effort. Glad I tried the cam clamp, as I would not have bothered to change to the new handle. I was, fed up looking for the Allen key and removing the swarf from the cap head.
The Home Engineer