Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe Carriage Stop Switch

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

Lathe Carriage Stop Switch

A lathe carriage stop switch I made. It's a quick little build that will lower your blood pressure when threading.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

asterix (Aug 23, 2021), Canyonman44 (Aug 19, 2021), DIYer (Aug 19, 2021), johncg (Aug 19, 2021), Jon (Aug 20, 2021), Tule (Aug 23, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    do you have a magnetic brake on the lathe motor

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Kinda. The VFD decelerates the motor. The motor is not allowed to spin down under its own inertia. It's very fast. It stops so fast that it makes a clunk. But it's all electric trickery. There is no physical brake.

Also I highly, highly recommend installing a VFD. That's just a cheapo eBay VFD and it made my lathe about 700 times better. There is no comparison between the original machine and the lathe + VFD. Infinitely variable speeds on a dial is incredible (plus all the other features). I just leave it in the middle gear all of the time and use the dial.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

asterix (Aug 23, 2021), Frank S (Aug 19, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    I did a quick video of the VFD operation on my lathe. The reason I bought it was because this is a 3 phase lathe and I only have single phase in my shop. The VFD takes 240v single and chops it up to approximate a 3 phase waveform. But it's so much better than that. Have a look:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Aug 19, 2021), Frank S (Aug 19, 2021), Tule (Aug 23, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks I'll have to look into it.
    Did you add a potentiometer and the E button and off switch
    Most VFD's I've seen use the up/ down touch arrows
    I have a rotary phase converter to run some of my 3ph equipment.
    But to stop my lathe without allowing to wind down I reverse the switch it still has to slow to stop not nearly instant like yours seems to do
    making it really difficult to do single point threading. One of my lathes is a 17" and another a 26" but the 26" has a declutch.
    there is also the issue of inertia, the chucks for the 17" weigh 90lbs and the chucks for the 26" weigh 250lbs or more
    And I wouldn't even want to guess how much the chuck weighs on the 56" 25HP pencil sharpener, but I would never consider even thinking about trying to quick stop the spinning mass that thing can handle.
    I would like to install a 3hp 3ph motor on my 12x36 Sheldon but it has a threaded spindle so that would become a problem if it stopped instantly, as the chuck would come off
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 19, 2021 at 01:08 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks nova_robotics! We've added your Lathe Carriage Stop Switch to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: nova_robotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 19, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Thanks I'll have to look into it.
    Did you add a potentiometer and the E button and off switch
    Most VFD's I've seen use the up/ down touch arrows
    This VFD has a little dial on the front, but I didn't like the factory dial so I made a bigger one and wired that in. I also added the e-stop and extra switch. But that's all purely for ease of use. I used this lathe for ages without any of those controls.

I have a rotary phase converter to run some of my 3ph equipment.
    But to stop my lathe without allowing to wind down I reverse the switch it still has to slow to stop not nearly instant like yours seems to do
    making it really difficult to do single point threading. One of my lathes is a 17" and another a 26" but the 26" has a declutch.
    there is also the issue of inertia, the chucks for the 17" weigh 90lbs and the chucks for the 26" weigh 250lbs or more
    And I wouldn't even want to guess how much the chuck weighs on the 56" 25HP pencil sharpener, but I would never consider even thinking about trying to quick stop the spinning mass that thing can handle.
    I would like to install a 3hp 3ph motor on my 12x36 Sheldon but it has a threaded spindle so that would become a problem if it stopped instantly, as the chuck would come off
    Yeah I don't have any gear that big. But the deceleration/spin-down time is just a setting. The VFD will drive that motor pretty hard to achieve a complete stop in the time that you've set. 0.3 second or 3 minutes, totally up to you. 25HP is getting a pretty large, but 5 HP and down is no problem for off the shelf VFDs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information