Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe collet chuck - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,790 Times in 11,326 Posts

Lathe collet chuck - video

Lathe collet chuck. By Artisan Makes. 16:00 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Anyone care to venture a guess why he hand-spun the workpiece when he was single-point threading it? I'm sure there must be a perfectly good reason I'm not seeing.

2000 Tool Plans

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Anyone care to venture a guess why he hand-spun the workpiece when he was single-point threading it? I'm sure there must be a perfectly good reason I'm not seeing.
    It's a mini-lathe. The older mini-lathes are pretty underpowered, and even the newer ones aren't super-powered, and that's a pretty coarse thread. Also the low speeds aren't that low, nor are they capable of using the full power of the motor. So low power and higher speeds make them scary/uncomfortable to single-point thread large threads. Hand-cranking them is a good way to get around that, and if you look at the mini-lathe groups, you'll find quite a few different hand cranks to make it easier, safer, and more controllable.

Not that he's using any of the usual hand crank methods common on any of the mini-lathe groups, most of which are or were based in the US. Though I think the English use tommy bars that way as a matter of routine.

I own a small mini-lathe group on groups.io, as my very first lathe was a Harbor Freight 93212 mini-lathe. I sort of replaced it with an Atlas TH42, which can use many of the same accessories, using MT2 & MT3 tapers, and faceplates to adapt the chucks. Late last year, I traded it in for a couple of Unimats, which are even more limited in a number of ways, but also quite a bit more versatile out of the box. Between them, and my restoration project SB Heavy 10L, I think I'm covered in the small lathe department for the rest of my life, unless I win the lottery and can afford to buy a Monarch 10EE, anyway.

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Jul 22, 2022 at 07:42 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

schuylergrace (Jul 22, 2022)

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    It's a mini-lathe. The older mini-lathes are pretty underpowered, and even the newer ones aren't super-powered, and that's a pretty coarse thread. Also the low speeds aren't that low, nor are they capable of using the full power of the motor. So low power and higher speeds make them scary/uncomfortable to single-point thread large threads. Hand-cranking them is a good way to get around that, and if you look at the mini-lathe groups, you'll find quite a few different hand cranks to make it easier, safer, and more controllable. Bill
    Thank you, Bill! I suspected it might be a power issue, or that he didn't want to have a runout area for the thread. Your explanation makes perfect sense!

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Thank you, Bill! I suspected it might be a power issue, or that he didn't want to have a runout area for the thread. Your explanation makes perfect sense!
    You're welcome!

Bill

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    You're welcome!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information