Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe cross-slide jig plate

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Lathe cross-slide jig plate

Hi All
    To enable components to be machined with an inline boring bar on the lathe, a method of holding the job is needed.
    During a skip dive of a local engineering company, I came across this steel ground plate which was either machined incorrectly or had done its job, so was disregarded and thrown out.
    Straight away I had a plan for the plate (only hoping it wasn’t hardened and would be big enough for my big lathe to make a cross-slide jig plate.
    I couldn’t believe how lucky and how perfect this was going to be. Not only was the plate soft but was the perfect size and perfectly ground square. So the plate was marked out and the base of the plate machined with a dovetail and a jib strip to suit the dovetail of the cross slide.The jib strip is fitted, so when the grub screws are tightened to lock the plate in position the screws don’t damage the cross slide.
    Next a series of M12 threaded holes were drilled so tooling/components can be clamped to it.
    This was a really easy build due to the fact that a lot of the hard work had already be completed. Correct size plate and ground.
    The photos below show the plate.
    Lathe cross-slide jig plate-cffd7515-8b45-4c42-b760-7e96adc67e67.jpegTop of jig plate.

Lathe cross-slide jig plate-44cfe771-eabe-431d-84df-df353e7604d7.jpegUnderside.

Lathe cross-slide jig plate-86c98783-a689-4dfe-aa5e-be2f6b436148.jpegJib strip located at each end with a dowel pins.

Lathe cross-slide jig plate-2950b106-aad1-478f-9295-66e62542cd5d.jpegJig plate in place. The compound slide is removed for better access and gives more space. The aluminium plate is bolted in place of the compound slide to prevent swarf from entering the tee slot and dowel hole.

Lathe cross-slide jig plate-cd0c17f5-69c5-4976-9dff-0994a7d19c1c.jpegAngle plate clamped to jig plate and component held in place to check the position can be achieved on the cross-slide before clocking up and setting casting to correct height.

Lathe cross-slide jig plate-4c7a577c-ae84-4109-8795-d580e8ff4615.jpegWhen happy with position the jig plate, grub screws can be locked in position and (in this case) the angle plate can be clocked square to the Z-axis.

Thank you for viewing. I will post a separate post on the alignment of the casting relevant to the casting centre line.

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Nov 25, 2022 at 11:25 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 25, 2022), Jon (Dec 1, 2022), Skun Knuckles (Nov 25, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 6, 2022), trevor_60_r (Nov 30, 2022)

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    Nice work I always read your latest posts with great interest, I’ve often contemplated something similar for my lathe. The question has always been how to mount it, are the dovetails on your cross slide factory machined or did you machine them yourself?

2000 Tool Plans
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    Nice work I always read your latest posts with great interest, I’ve often contemplated something similar for my lathe. The question has always been how to mount it, are the dovetails on your cross slide factory machined or did you machine them yourself?
    The lathe I have is a Colchester Student 1800 and has factory fitted dovetails. I think they are possibly used for a hydraulic copying attachment?

However don’t be put off if you haven’t got dovetails on your cross-slide and they are square. A similar set up would work with straight sides (a bit like vice). This would also be even simpler to make as the two pieces that straddle the cross-slide could be bolted to the main jig plate. (Making it more like a fabrication) and the jib strip would act like the loose jaw. Alternatively if you have a cross-slide with tee slots already fitted (like a Myford ML7) an additional jig plate would be easy to mount, or tooling/components clamps directly to the cross-slide.

I hope this has helped and look forward to seeing your solution.

Andy

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    You are a lucky beggar with your skip finds, but it’s just as well that I don’t have that opportunity, I am really quite overwhelmed with what I have salvaged already! And congratulations on your 10th award.
    Do you know of anyone who would like a disc sander (homemade) ? The platen is 16” diameter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Dec 1, 2022)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Philip
    I am so pleased so many people read my posts and to get 10 HMT of the week is fantastic.
    You know I can’t walk past a skip without poking my nose in it. Even my Mrs isn’t embarrassed anymore and even points out potential dives for me.
    Just surprised that so much stuff is disregarded as scrap. But I guess for business “one day I might use it “ is space and money. For the home workshop the one day I will make is easier or with modern technology and selling platforms items can be sold and used to purchase other items that are needed for the workshop. What is it they say one man’s rubbish is another man’s treasure.
    Andy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Nov 26, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 6, 2022)

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    Unfortunately my cross slide doesn’t have t-slots, before I purchased my mill I fitted a vertical slide to my lathe’s cross slide using one of the compound slide mounting studs and two threaded holes that I drilled and tapped.
    I have often considered more tapped holes to mount a fixture plate but I am not keen on the cross slide ending up like Swiss cheese, your suggestion of a vise like arrangement has given me something to lie awake at night thinking about.
    Cheers.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    [QUOTE=Skun your suggestion of a vice like arrangement has given me something to lie awake at night thinking about.
    Cheers.[/QUOTE]

please don’t have nightmares
    Once you have made your jig plate I will be keen to see how you made it.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Cross Slide Jig Plate to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Video showing the jig-plate in position and setup of the cylinder casting.

Last edited by Jon; Nov 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Nov 28, 2022)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi All
    A short video showing the setup of a casting on the jig plate.
    The cast iron cylinder block is clamped to the jig plate and shimmed to correct height and the bores are then machined with a homemade in-line boring bar.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Nov 30, 2022 at 06:38 AM.

Thread Information