Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lathe restoration

Thanks

lathe restoration

Best regards to all
    I am working on the restoration of a comesa lathe 1500 if someone can give me data of the manufacturer or explodes, user manual, I would very much appreciate it.

I want to learn how to make my own tools for this lathe

A hug to everyone

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi juan_alberto_13 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Can you post some pics of the lathe?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thank you Jhon

see you the photos lathe comesa 1500

lathe restoration-comesa1.jpglathe restoration-comesa2.jpglathe restoration-comesa3.jpglathe restoration-comesa4.jpglathe restoration-comesa5.jpglathe restoration-comesa6.jpglathe restoration-comesa7.jpglathe restoration-comesa8.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	comesa2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	15089lathe restoration-comesa10.jpglathe restoration-comesa11.jpglathe restoration-comesa12.jpglathe restoration-comesa13.jpglathe restoration-comesa14.jpglathe restoration-comesa15.jpglathe restoration-comesa16.jpglathe restoration-comesa17.jpglathe restoration-comesa18.jpg

Look at the photos you download from the internet is almost the same because there is no page or manufacturer associated with this name comesa 1500.

I'm going to be uploading the disassembly photos so you can see what I'm doing and if anyone can give us a hand I'd like to thank you very much.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I'm going to move this one into our Tools in Progress subforum; something tells me we'll have some people who will be interested in this restoration.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    A lot of machines are re-branded for importers and companies to sell, but built from a common collection of castings. If shifters and levers are arranged in the same locations, and they are independent feed and threading shafts, it's a real lathe and chances are the same machine. That makes finding manuals easier. [*]You'll do best by recording in text and jpegs details about clearances; end play, backlash, runout, fastener torque and location, locking tabs etc.[*] Plastic bags and coffee cans; drink lots of coffee, the cans are very handy.[*]A lot of the drive shafts are pinned offset from the measured centerline.[*]Because of all the castings and blind holes, screw length is particular. [*]Look for areas that chafe wire insulation. [*]Identify wire with commercial markers or narrow athletic tape and Rapidograph style pen. [*]Figure on testing the variety of electrical components fuses, relays, heaters. [*]Save carriage wipers what ever condition they are in to produce new ones. [*]There could be cotton wick and/ or 'pipe cleaners' that carry oil from reservoirs to lube points, headstock especially. [*]Start looking for supplies; small copper, brass or steel capillary tube for oiling, should be soft enough to form by hand. [*]Investigate how to make leather seals for shafts.[*]Reseal all the unexposed areas with GE Glyptol or enamel paint, usually red lead or light colored to see metal shavings later. It also traps whatever sand remains from the original castings.[*]There are all kinds of drip lube canisters that will improve the maintenance routine. Here a brand is 'Gits' Lubrication | GITS Manufacturing is one, but many more exist. [*]Painting outside surfaces is best with oil-based enamel over glazing putty, like automotive repair paste but that doesn't stick to cast iron well.[*] And replace the worn silk screened charts and labels with acid photo-engraved panels.

I'm sure plenty more responses will occur, it strikes me that 'our' projects have worldwide exposure.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you all the people who can illustrate me on this subject and although I am an engineer I am missing a lot and I see that here we have people with a lot of knowledge.

If someone has manuals or images of the new lathe or better conditions I would be grateful and I assure you that I will be commenting my progress regarding this project because I believe that not only should we be buying new equipment and not of the best quality and not as These with a little affection remain as new and last many years

Thanks
    Thank you toolmaker51

I will try to show all the advances regarding this project and I hope your collaboration and advice when you are not knowing what to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    That's why we join! May the engineer in you be happy as kids in a toy store; SurplusRecord, Sterling Machinery, Rohner, Williams in the US and what turns up in Europe. You might look at 100 files or 1000; but certain yours is not the only one. One more detail to try is some clue whether shes Euro or Asian, eliminating or at least narrowing the field. I will say those shifters on the headstock seem familiar.
    I suspect Comesa might be a brand, not the actual maker. That is very common. An Italian member here named ''rendoman'', might be worth your time email wise.
    I'm currently hampered being English language only, in common speech and the gigantic vocabulary of the metal trades; the translation feature in these pages operates by interpretive manner, but likely hasn't 'learned' our vocabulary 100%.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Best regard
    lathe restoration-sam_3066.jpglathe restoration-sam_3067.jpglathe restoration-sam_3068.jpglathe restoration-sam_3069.jpglathe restoration-sam_3070.jpglathe restoration-sam_3071.jpglathe restoration-sam_3072.jpglathe restoration-sam_3073.jpglathe restoration-sam_3074.jpglathe restoration-sam_3075.jpglathe restoration-sam_3076.jpglathe restoration-sam_3077.jpglathe restoration-sam_3078.jpglathe restoration-sam_3079.jpglathe restoration-sam_3080.jpglathe restoration-sam_3081.jpglathe restoration-sam_3082.jpglathe restoration-sam_3083.jpglathe restoration-sam_3084.jpglathe restoration-sam_3085.jpg
    I left them for a few days for my occupations but I continue in the restoration here I show you some photos of the ones you have done I hope you like them and make your comments.

As some parts of the lathe are in poor condition, I must assemble it and manufacture the parts that I will replace

I think to leave it flawless is going to spend some time I hope your help and understanding but I will not leave this project.

Thanks
    I apologize for the photos but my photographer is not very good.
    I leave others of the car where the supports of the pads that clean the bench of the winch I show how was one of them with some paint and as they are left with a superficial sanding I hope that when I finish it looks like a mirror
    aquílathe restoration-sam_3111.jpglathe restoration-sam_3112.jpglathe restoration-sam_3113.jpglathe restoration-sam_3114.jpglathe restoration-sam_3115.jpglathe restoration-sam_3116.jpglathe restoration-sam_3117.jpglathe restoration-sam_3118.jpglathe restoration-sam_3119.jpg

Thread Information