Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Lathe rips shirt off operator - GIF

  1. #11
    Supporting Member IAMSatisfied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 229 Times in 123 Posts

    IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    His right foot is under the brake, which shuts the machine down instantly.
    Another surviving member of The Machinists Strip Club.

    It seems a waist-high shut-off bar like they have on the entry deck of wood chippers would be much more appropriate here than that floor brake. As soon as his shirt caught, his torso was pulled toward the chuck, loading the foot that was under the brake, and he couldn't have lifted that foot to operate the brake on both accounts. You need systems in place that don't require your mind to operate perfectly.

    500 Tool Plans

  2. #12
    Supporting Member mklotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    LA, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,932
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 5,545 Times in 1,841 Posts

    mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSatisfied View Post
    Another surviving member of The Machinists Strip Club.

    It seems a waist-high shut-off bar like they have on the entry deck of wood chippers would be much more appropriate here than that floor brake. As soon as his shirt caught, his torso was pulled toward the chuck, loading the foot that was under the brake, and he couldn't have lifted that foot to operate the brake on both accounts. You need systems in place that don't require your mind to operate perfectly.
    Hear, hear! I've been trumpeting this same advice for a long time. I'm surprised that lathe manufacturers don't at least offer it as an accessory.

    Homemade Tools eBooks
    ---
    Regards, Marv


    Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

  3. #13
    Supporting Member drivermark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Oregon City, Or. USA
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Hear, hear! I've been trumpeting this same advice for a long time. I'm surprised that lathe manufacturers don't at least offer it as an accessory.
    I would bet it has something to do with cost/profit margins

  4. #14
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    6,372
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,672 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Sure he was hollering quite soon, but it was nearly over before the dog and co-worker reacted, that's pretty fast.

    All those points made are viable, in no particular order; clear floor, proper footwear, not reaching over rotating machinery, lightweight clothing, a laugh for the COVID mask (more proof administrative safety is secondary to personal safety), better primary shut-off mechanisms, minimally an E-stop.... Can even question the shop layout, who lines up lathes along a wall?

    Most, if not all of those we have complete control of. Serious accidents don't get do overs.

    Make sure the only shirt you loose to machinery is an unsatisfactory purchase.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  5. #15
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    6,372
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,672 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by drivermark View Post
    I would bet it has something to do with cost/profit margins
    Wouldn't be the first time, substitute E-stop with Pinto gas tanks......
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  6. #16
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Sure he was hollering quite soon, but it was nearly over before the dog and co-worker reacted, that's pretty fast.

    All those points made are viable, in no particular order; clear floor, proper footwear, not reaching over rotating machinery, lightweight clothing, a laugh for the COVID mask (more proof administrative safety is secondary to personal safety), better primary shut-off mechanisms, minimally an E-stop.... Can even question the shop layout, who lines up lathes along a wall?

    Most, if not all of those we have complete control of. Serious accidents don't get do overs.

    Make sure the only shirt you loose to machinery is an unsatisfactory purchase.
    Thanks toolmaker. You summed it up well. Stay safe and healthy.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mdhatter3 For This Useful Post:

    Toolmaker51 (Nov 18, 2021)

  8. #17
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,524
    Thanks
    6,372
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,672 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhatter3 View Post
    Thanks toolmaker. You summed it up well. Stay safe and healthy.
    Accepted, rather good if I do say so myself!

    I've run machinery over 60 years, as employee and privately. A few insignificant injuries, worst maybe a counterbore sticking in a plate and it spun half a turn, after hitting me in gut. Sore but not even a bruise. The plate seemed (operative word if there ever was) heavy enough to remain in place.

    Having been under so many types of safety program (another operative yet ineffective word); only that offered by Dirty Jobs host Mike Rowe is sensible............... "Safety Third".
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  9. #18
    Supporting Member drivermark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Oregon City, Or. USA
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time, substitute E-stop with Pinto gas tanks......
    Pinto, lol I had a buddy that used to call them Pinchloafs



    Tube Bender Build Guide

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •