Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lathe Tool Height Gage

Thanks
    Not to hijack this thread but look at this one found but $25.00 plus depending on where you get it. Build it for about $2.50.
    Take a look:
    Pro Lathe Gage 02-000 - Edge Technology

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Nelson,

I finally bought this type of lathe height gage last year after seeing Adam Booth (Abom79) use it several times in his YouTube videos. I wanted to see how well it worked. It is extremely accurate but it requires using the lathe chuck to locate the precision gage pin about which the level rotates. The problem I have is most of the time I have a part already being machined in the lathe chuck when I discover one of my lathe cutting tool is slightly off center. Most of my machining operations require swapping out QCTP tools and sooner or later one of the tools is slightly off center. In this situation removing the partially machined part to use the chuck for this type of gage will probably result in not putting the partially machined part back in exactly the same position in the chuck and depending upon the chuck TIR, the remaining ODs and IDs won't machine concentrically.

The Pro Lathe Gage is great for initially setting up the lathe cutting tool heights before starting the machining. I still prefer the lathe tool height gage like the one presented here by Doug or the Hardinge Lathe-style height gage I made ( see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...8587#post25937 ) for making adjustments anytime during the machining operation without disturbing the partially machined part by removing it from the chuck to use the Pro Lathe Gage. These lathe height gages work well but it depends on when in the machining process the adjustment is made.

Regards,

Paul Jones

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Feb 16, 2018 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but look at this one found but $25.00 plus depending on where you get it. Build it for about $2.50.
    Take a look:
    I don't like this type of gauge because there are so many situations for which it is not suitable. Paul mentioned the case of having a work piece mounted but there are several other cases.

* You might have a 4 jaw chuck or face plate mounted.
    * Wrong size collet.
    * It relies on the cross slide motion being horizontal. Many home machinists have lathes which have not been levelled but it can be even worse for lathes mounted on a mobile platform such as a ship or service truck.

I could go on but you get the idea. On the other hand, the type of device in this post by Doug (Paul mentioned his and I also posted my version of the same principle http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/a...8027#post86660) will work under all conditions and made to appropriate dimensions will also be good for setting upsidedown tools.
    Marv also posted his very simple setting device which always works.

Adhere to the KISS principle.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Feb 16, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 13, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice work! I obviously missed it the first time around.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Take a look:
    I have one of this style...

https://www.amazon.com/center-height...l+height+gauge

though not that exact model. While it eliminates the need to remove the work from the chuck in order to use it, I find that reading the tiny level with any accuracy is far more difficult than using one's sensitive finger nerves to detect alignment as with this one I made...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/d...ht-gauge-57996

In fact, I think the style with a level is less accurate than the age-old dodge of trapping a scale between the tool and the work and adjusting until said scale is held vertically without a tilt.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I once restored a Harrison 280 gap bed trainer lathe that had degree indicators around the perimeter of the chuck y could lock the chuck at the 0° mark then move the tool post and cutter next to the chuck and read the line at the 90/270° mark. Quite accurate since the chuck were 200 mm in diameter there were also marks in the D4-1 spindle nose that could be used if collets were to be mounted in the spindle.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 13, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Nice work doug, i need to make one, the ol' eyes ain't what they used to be, thanks

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information