Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe tool holder storage rack

Supporting Member threesixesinarow's Avatar
    Thanks

threesixesinarow's Tools

Lathe tool holder storage rack

This is how I keep the tool holders for the quick change tool post on my smallest lathe. They snap in place and can’t fall off even when I brush against them.

There are better ways to organize large collections of tool holders that don’t obscure what tool each one holds like mine does - for me a system like Frank Ford’s drawer inserts would probably be the most secure and efficient, though rods or dowels like on JimGlass’ rack could save material compared to individual dovetails.

But I only have seven holders for this lathe and including the over-long height adjusting screws they’re less than 1-1/4” tall so they fit nicely under the lathe cabinet.

I milled the dovetails, chamfers, and relief for the height adjusting nuts on the edge of a piece of scrap 1/2” plastic, milled some slots across the bottom to separate the holders, and sawed progressively deeper slotting cuts on the edge until the thinner bottom tabs felt like they had the right spring.

Lathe tool holder storage rack-thh01_oncabinet.jpg Lathe tool holder storage rack-thh02_frontobliquewithtoolholder.jpg

Lathe tool holder storage rack-thh03_frontobliqueempty.jpg Lathe tool holder storage rack-thh04_bottom.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks threesixesinarow! We've added your Lathe Tool Storage Rack to our Racks category,
    as well as to your builder page: threesixesinarow's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information