Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Launching free-fall lifeboats - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,807 Times in 9,915 Posts

Launching free-fall lifeboats - GIF

Launching free-fall lifeboats.

Previously:

Uncapsizable boat - GIF
    Helicopter rescue of a man from sinking boat - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 25, 2020), high-side (Apr 25, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Apr 26, 2020), MeJasonT (Apr 25, 2020), MIGuy (Apr 24, 2020), Moby Duck (Apr 25, 2020), Rangi (Apr 24, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 24, 2020), Tonyg (Apr 25, 2020)

Thanks
    That's a helluva ride!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    This was pioneered in mid-60's...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 25, 2020), high-side (Apr 25, 2020), MeJasonT (Apr 25, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    It's reassuring to see that the seats have head restraints to prevent neck injuries when they hit the water.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Apr 25, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Apr 25, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Been there, seen it, done it.
    The Norwegians I think invented this free fall method for the north sea, if not they are certainly the biggest advocates of it.
    funnily enough if you have been in one practice exercise in Norway you are classed has having done it and not expected to do it again unless its for real. The British on the other hand find every oportunity to do free fall lifeboat exercises. Its not without its risks, you still get thrown about and still get that childs backside on a crossbar type of tail injury if you bounce on your arse. Thats why the Norwegians dont practice doing it as a sport. Definately a very quick and effective way of launching off a rig, also has the potential of diving under its own wave as it enters the water. Rigs, fire pool of ****e and debris floating around the base of the rig. So getting under it or throwing water over the life raft is a huge advantage over being lowered on top of any burning crap by a davit launched craft. some of the rigs i have been on, the deck was 50ft to 70ft above the water the liferafts could have been at least another 10 to 20 feet above that. Thats a potential 90/100 ft drop possibly even more. Not for the faint hearted, me i was crapping myself.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Duke_of_URL (Apr 26, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    It's reassuring to see that the seats have head restraints to prevent neck injuries when they hit the water.
    It's also reassuring that US Navy Seals are aware of interior layout, material composition, and potential ballistic issues; according to one Captain Phillips...

MeJasonT asks [post #7 ] about Captain Phillips of MV Maersk Alabama, April 2009. This link will pull ~6,100,000 returns.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ptain+phillips
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 26, 2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Inquiring minds and all...and ooop's 09 not 10...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Now im intreaged Toolmaker51.
    is there a link to that thread anywhere. (arr ok light entertainment on netflix) I dont think it would be likely to be shot at especially when the only reason to be in one is a near death experience anways like Piper Alpha. or the Deepwater Horizon. As for military purposes they only do 12 knots, the enemy would wet themselves laughing as they swam past.

As i understand it, working on the rigs isnt respected very much in the US on account of the criminal element being drafted in to the workforce. Sort of using the rigs as boot camps for would be tear aways. I get the impression commenting on blogs that US readers dont view rig workers as being the professionals they are. In the UK you are not really going to get a job on a rig with a criminal record, you wont get on one without a solid education either - can we debunk this myth and put it to bed.

I have just reminded myself, Captain Philips was the chap who's ship was captured by pirates in the Pursian gulf? whos crew faught back and recovered the vessel (real life not netflix). Working out there i always said my first move would be to run to the bridge and use the only firearm on board, Its amazing how much damage you can do with a flare gun. Flare cartridges burn like hell and last ages, looks like pretty smoke but they get bloody hot. Poorly serviced small craft full of muppets with amunition and petrol engines umm im thinking tinderbox. There again im ex forces.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Apr 26, 2020 at 01:21 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 6, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,849 Times in 11,340 Posts

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 8, 2020), high-side (Sep 8, 2020), Rangi (Sep 7, 2020), Scotty12 (Sep 12, 2020), Slim-123 (Sep 8, 2020), Tonyg (Sep 8, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Sep 6, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Lifeboat?
    That's an inflatable yacht!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 7, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    A big part of the training for the 25 man lifeboats is to flip them the right way up, apparently they have either a bad habit of opening upside down or get flipped by the wind when they open. Some poor sod has to climb on top and get hold of two straps, walk backwards off the craft and flip it the right way up - the gas bottles are located at the foot of the straps to help give you a pivot point. The poor sod righting the craft usually ends up underneath as 24 burly men try climbing into it - kind of like the sacrificial lamb. Every three years we have to practice this which include the ditch in the upside down heckalopter

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 8, 2020), high-side (Sep 8, 2020), Scotty12 (Sep 12, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Sep 7, 2020)

Thread Information