Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Uncapsizable boat - GIF

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 15, 2021), dubbby (Apr 25, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Mar 15, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 14, 2018), that_other_guy (Oct 12, 2021)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    This would be more correctly called a self righting boat rather than uncapsizable.
    Royal Navy Frigates were, (possibly still are), built like this. They work very well in a test tank but in reality when the ship is upside down, the gun turrets fall off, the boilers fall off their mounts and explode, diesel and gas turbine engines are torn from their shock mounts, most other heavy machinery is also torn from it's mounts and in the process most of the crew are either killed by steam, heavy machinery and flood or the roll over. The ship is then no longer self righting and probably sinks. It is nice to know that they are designed this way, but I wouldn't like to be in one when it happened.
    The video clip is in flat calm water, passengers are strapped in and engines are stopped. Even in this case there would be bilge water and oil all over the engine room deck head. If this was to happen crossing a bar, even if the engines kept running, you would probably never regain control of the boat.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Mar 14, 2018 at 08:33 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 15, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 13, 2022), volodar (Mar 15, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I’ve had the good fortune of being rescued twice, a few years apart, by uncapsizable coast guard lifeboats. These were boats with minimal superstructure, reportedly with multiple roll capability. My first time mid nineteen sixties a few miles offshore on Lake Ontario near Fort Niagara NY in my 14 ft wayfarer dinghy after a crossing from Toronto ON. A sudden squall caused a cheap hardware store turnbuckle to fail. Mast went over the side, capsize followed (no mast tip float). Tourists at Fort Niagara called US coast guard, who came out and towed me upside down to the canadian side across the Niagara river. Second time about five years later, off the pacific coast of BC on my way to Bamfield in a 13 ft zodiac when outboard motor shaft broke at the impeller, stranding me on a rock, waving a lifejacket on a paddle to passing aircraft without success, some 10 Km from port. Eventually, the Lady Rose, a passenger vessel onroute from Bamfield to Tofino spotted me, stopped, radioed Bamfield lifeboat station and stood by to provide the tourists the sight of “a rescue at sea”. Same type of lifeboat as the Fort Niagara one. Both since replaced, Im sure.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 15, 2019), baja (Jun 16, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Jun 15, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 14, 2019), that_other_guy (Oct 12, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 13, 2022)

Thread Information