Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LETTER PUNCH GUIDE : aim the line and write everything straight! Punzonatura

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools

LETTER PUNCH GUIDE : aim the line and write everything straight! Punzonatura

Good morning everyone,

I show you my latest video: I built a simple jig for punching flat and round parts, in the now more or less advanced laser era I built something "old-style" which is based on a "needle viewfinder" and a metric row to decide the step between one letter/number and another;
    a second viewfinder allows you to align the plate in the case of punching on a larger detail, with a hypothetical pre-traced line to align the letters/numbers, in this case it requires 2 external clamps for fixing.

The cursor also slides if the plate is pressed on the part to be punched, because it is slightly less thick in the guide area.
    On the base of the support there is a plate which, when rotated 180 degrees, has a 45-degree V-shaped machining, to allow even round bars to be blocked and punched.

It's always a challenge until the final assembly and the test, because if it doesn't work it was all done for nothing, but on the other hand this is part of the game and a game that I'm very passionate about!!

Hope you like it,

Ciao !!
    Alberto.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AB-SHOP For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Feb 27, 2023), DIYer (Feb 28, 2023), drivermark (Feb 28, 2023), ductape (Mar 3, 2023), johnds (Mar 6, 2024), Jon (Feb 27, 2023), lassab999 (Mar 6, 2024), mr mikey (Feb 27, 2023), nova_robotics (Mar 6, 2024), Ralphxyz (Mar 6, 2024), rlm98253 (Mar 6, 2024), Scotty1 (Feb 27, 2023), Scrounga (Mar 6, 2024), tonyfoale (Mar 6, 2024), WmRMeyers (Mar 4, 2024)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Nice build.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    That is probably the best idea I have seen for laying out stamps. I have a couple of rifle builds that need info on them. This will be a great thing to speed things up.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Hi Mr Milkey, thanks for your kind comment, happy that you liked my video !!

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Hi blkadder, happy and proud that you liked my idea !! The first idea come from the serial number wrote in the past on the lathes or milling machine, for me seeing the date of construction has always fascinated me because the piece of iron immediately acquires a story, obviously unknown but precisely for this reason fascinating!!

I hope you can apply my idea to your passion!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AB-SHOP For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Mar 6, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks AB-SHOP! We've added your Letter Punch Guide to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: AB-SHOP's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Mar 6, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    That has to be the nicest stamping jig I've ever seen!!!!!!! You have a fantastic melding of practical device with wonderful workmanship and rethinking of an old idea.

In fact it is so nice I'd be afraid to use it. One missed hammer blow and that beautiful bit of machining would be forever scared..

Thanks
    If this had been made more like a v-block it would be more size flexible and the clamps typically used to hold down round-stock in v-blocks would make the size of round that could be marked much larger.

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Thanks for your comment, please note that I used a 4kg hammer to make it quick, you can still use a smaller hammer, with a little patience.

Like everything, attention must be paid for sure, it is possible to give a hammer blow even on a finger trying to plant a nail !!

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Thanks for your comment, yes I agree with you, in hindsight I would have made some changes too but obviously there is a limit otherwise I would not have finished the project !

The idea of being able to stamp the round bars also arrived at the end of the project, however if I had made a device more centered on the round pieces, it would have been more difficult to write on the flat pieces!

Thread Information