Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill

Thanks

tmate3's Tools

Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill

I recently struggled with how I might lift my newly acquired Bridgeport off its pallet and move it into position in my garage. After much thought and advice, I decided it was too heavy to lift with my engine hoist and too tall to do it with my car lift.

I finally solved the problem by sliding the back off the pallet and mounting leveling feet/casters, then continuing to slide it until the front of the mill was almost clear of the pallet. Then I blocked it up, pulled the pallet out, and mounted the front feet/casters. This also fixed the issue of a substantial slope in my garage floor near the walls.

H&W Machine sells a $350 kit that uses solid bars across under the front and back of the machine, with leveling feet at the ends. My approach was similar, but I used 5" x 2" 1/4" wall rectangular tubing with leveling feet that have integral casters. Since the machine is now 7" taller, I bought a 7" high work platform. The stability is increased with the wider stance.

Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill-img_9039.jpg Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill-casters2.jpg Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill-img_9068.jpg Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill-platform.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tmate3; Apr 26, 2021 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tmate3 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 28, 2021), kboy0076 (May 4, 2021), ranald (Apr 27, 2021), sossol (Apr 27, 2021), toeless joe (Apr 27, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tmate3! We've added your Leveling Casters to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: tmate3's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I used this principle and it works well with levelling a 6ft mower deck on an out front and midmount tractor being able to adjust the mounting/hangers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

buster69 (Apr 27, 2021)

Thanks
    I can't see how it could be "too tall" for your car lift to get it off the pallet. Surely the lift can be held at a height between lowest and highest positions. What am I missing?

BTW, what is the mass of the Bridgeport? And would you please provide the particulars on the casters with levelling feet? I am hoping they can help solve a conundrum with my own uneven shop floor. Thank you.

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by black echo View Post
    I can't see how it could be "too tall" for your car lift to get it off the pallet. Surely the lift can be held at a height between lowest and highest positions. What am I missing?

BTW, what is the mass of the Bridgeport? And would you please provide the particulars on the casters with levelling feet? I am hoping they can help solve a conundrum with my own uneven shop floor. Thank you.
    The lift goes up to about 72". If I lower it enough to raise something 7" it is too low to lift the mill by straps around the ram.

The casters (CarryMaster ALC-1000FB) solved the problem for me. They raised the mill 7", so I bought a 7" high work platform.

Bridgeport weighs 2,000 lbs.

Leveling feet/Casters for Bridgeport Mill-img_9088_edited.jpg

Thanks

McDesign's Tools
    [QUOTE=tmate3;179855]I recently struggled with how I might lift my newly acquired Bridgeport off its pallet and move it into position in my garage. After much thought and advice, I decided it was too heavy to lift with my engine hoist and too tall to do it with my car lift.

Hey - interesting Idea - was about to hire riggers to move my mill into an enlarged shop area, and then buy leveling feet - this would do both. The feet are in my cart at Zambus - thanks!

I might try and make up a frame to only lift the mill an inch or so - will post it here if it works!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information