Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lichtenberg electrocution deaths - GIF

Thanks
    Yeah, one of the big problems with electrical dangers is that they are often neither visible (unlike say, rotating machinery) or audible, so they do not present as "scary" or "dangerous" to someone not familiar with what's actually going on or the threat it presents. In the case of making these pieces, it's actually pretty cool to see happening and looks sort of slow and sedate. I'd bet the tendency is to lean in close to see the interesting pattern develop, etc. It's way too easy to get hurt or killed because you overlooked some seemingly minor detail in your setup or simply placed your hand in the wrong place.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by clavius; Sep 25, 2022 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I was doing that when my age was a single digit long ago. You just have to have respect for electric current...

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Sep 25, 2022)

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    When I was about 8YO I had one of those quack medical devices that had neon tubes that were run over the hurt parts and made them hurt more for you... Took it apart and used the HV output for lots of experiments. I used several TV picture tubes for HV capacitors...when they accidently discharged across the basement floor to the drain, Dad made me stop LOL A neon sign transformer works well and is relatively safe. Jacobs Ladder and other cute tricks are fun to watch.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I was making the Jacobs Ladder with a 10k volt neon light transformer. Way fun...

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    I find Lightenberg art fascinating, but electricity scares the crap out of me, so I don't plan to ever do it myself. I've seen videos of guys wetting dry lumber with a squirt bottle ahead of the arc, rather than wetting the whole block, which seems safer. One guy used it to steer the arc, and he was marginally successful.

Would plugging the transformer into a GFC outlet mitigate the danger in any way? I understand transformers and how the Lichtenberg process works, but as much as I try to understand, GFCs confound me. I built a "metal melter" out of a MOT, with plans to built it into a spot welder. Before I ever used it, I built an isolator out of another MOT (both coils are the same, so no change in voltage).

Would the Lichtenberg process work to make fulgerite? My thought is that the power needed is beyond the average tinkerer.

Neil

Thanks
    A GFC would not help at all in this case. It is the high voltage (with low internal resistance) from the transformer's secondary winding that will get you. Be aware that the normal secondary current is about 250 mA.

One end of the secondary coil is usually connected to the transformer core. Having the secondary circuit (including the core) float may help, as long as you do not touch both ends of the secondary at the same time. You still may get a shock from the current flowing through the leak capacitance between the primary and the secondary side, even when touching with one hand.

A GFC protects you from the mains voltage flowing through you to the earth. (PS I know that voltage does not flow, but otherwise the sentence would be awkward ;-)

Thanks
    That is why I find electricity so scary because you cannot see it.

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    I turn wooden bowls and built a fractal burner out of a microwave transformer. The metal core is one side of secondary high voltage. I put the transformer inside a plastic electric junction box and made sure it was insulated from the outside. I used high voltage spark plug wires with battery charger clips to hold a nail to touch the wood never touching the work myself. Had the work with sitting on neoprene sheet on wooden table. The liquid is water with baking soda for electrolyte spread with small chip brush. Had a momentary normally open foot switch on the primary side and never close to the work. Had a large indicator light in parallel with the transformer incoming power. Microwave transformers are dangerous Because of high current. Oil burner and neon transformers are less dangerous although nothing is absolutely safe. You just need to understand electricity and respect what it can do. I can show people how it works, but refuse to help build or loan out.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    A friend of mine, a Medical Dr no less, got into this a few years ago, after selling many of them he lost interest in continuing to produce them, about the time the deaths started rocketing...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information