Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lichtenberg electrocution deaths - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

Lichtenberg electrocution deaths - GIF

Recall the trendy internet-driven fad of "Lichtenberg figures"? AKA "fractal woodburning", which uses high voltage electricity to create attractive tree-like or lightning-like patterns in wood? 33 known deaths have occurred from it since 2017. The mortality rate in Lichtenberg injury cases from 2016-2020 is 71%.

Previously:

Lichtenberg figure woodburning GIF
    Lichtenberg figure woodworking

More:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...002/emp2.12330
    https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturne...g-Burning.aspx
    https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/n...ractal-burning
    https://www.union-bulletin.com/local...b2f3dc175.html

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Sep 24, 2022), Moby Duck (Sep 25, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 24, 2022), Philip Davies (Sep 25, 2022), Sleykin (Sep 25, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have never seen or heard of this before. I assume from the video that the surface was wetted with some sort of liquid and then the voltage was applied. VERY dangerous!!! I can see why there were fatalities.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I have heard of this before, I think it has a lot to do with the fact of using parts out of an old microwave oven and not properly grounding/shielding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to meyer77 For This Useful Post:

clavius (Sep 25, 2022)

Thanks
    Recently a young girl fried all the nerves in her hands when she forgot to switch the current off from her microwave transformer and touched her workpiece. Very sad for her but a clear message that this is not a very safe hobby.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Pearson For This Useful Post:

clavius (Sep 25, 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhatter3 View Post
    I have never seen or heard of this before. I assume from the video that the surface was wetted with some sort of liquid and then the voltage was applied. VERY dangerous!!! I can see why there were fatalities.
    Correct, I think a salt water or similar solution is soaked into the surface of the wood. A lot of the DIY versions of this use microwave oven transformers (as noted already) or perhaps worse, oil burner ignition transformers to supply the HV. Unfortunately lots of the people trying this are following instructions they find online and many of those folks are not necessarily very knowledgeable about working around exposed electrical stuff. So they tend to underestimate or just be completely unaware of the dangers and risks. Several of the deaths that I read about resulted from simple accidents like people tripping while they have one of these in process and getting their hands onto the energized piece of wood trying to break their fall. Pretty unfortunate.

I seem to recall that youtube has actually banned posting how-to videos of this process due to the number of injuries and deaths that have occurred.

They do make really cool looking pieces though.
    Last edited by clavius; Sep 25, 2022 at 07:46 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Sep 25, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    One must be knowledgeable about electricity and especially very high-voltage before doing things like this. The leads used in the video appeared to not be made of high voltage-tested wire, and the battery charger clips are also a big liability. As a tech school student in electronics in the late '70's working on the high voltage power supplies in CRT TV sets etc. there are specific safety steps to follow when working with this kind of stuff. It is NOT something you can watch a 2 minute video and then do safely!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlnixon For This Useful Post:

clavius (Sep 25, 2022), Sleykin (Sep 25, 2022)

Thanks
    And 2 switches that must be pressed by both hands, as often used on dangerous machines.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Even a very long cord that must be manually plugged into an outlet and unplugged would go a long ways long way towards safety by forcing the operator to stand a long ways away from the hazard.

Thanks
    That would not stop the operator from walking back to the workpiece after plugging in.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There are simply too may things than can go wrong when untrained and inexperienced people mess with lethal high voltage .

Thread Information