Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Life time tinker

Thanks

Dave M's Tools

Life time tinker

Hi Guys,

I am a former shop teacher and a life time tinker in both wood and metal. I drag raced for many years and still own a 1931 Chevy which is disgustingly stock as it belonged to the famous Chicken Ranch brothel in Texas. I have been reading the posts daily for quite a while and decided to sign up for the forum so I can get even more information. Some very talented people here, way beyond my skills. I am looking forward to being here and sharing with new friends I haven't met yet.

Dave

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi Dave - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Sounds like you have a wide skill set!

What kind of stuff is on your project list?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Dave M's Tools
    Hey Jon,
    I have to complete the old Chevy this year. It's close and I'm excited about it. We bought a lot on a lake last year in what is called a development, but is more a campground, so I have a deck to build, and a backyard to landscape into a sanctuary. I'm presently finishing up my garage renovation. If anyone can find them, med carts from hospitals or convalescent homes make incredible work benches if you cluster them together. I made a 12 foot permanent bench out of four of them, and a 6 foot portable woodworking bench with the other two. It moves around the shop and gives me room to put a car inside, or a centered bench that I can walk all the way around to finish a project. The storage in each is magnificent. One of the nice things about being almost retired is the time to putter......we all need that....

Dave

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Interesting solution with the carts. I've noticed that medical gear is often very durable and well-built.

Post some pics if you have them; I'm sure people would like to take a look.

Thanks

Dave M's Tools
    I happened to stumble into a guy who was moving to a condo and he had a bunch of these med carts, all in pretty good shape, so I grabbed them. I gave several away to friends who were making tool boxes and I kept six for my own shop. They have multiple sized drawers most with dividers which are easily removed. Life time tinker-dsc00093.jpgLife time tinker-dsc00090.jpgLife time tinker-dsc00091.jpgLife time tinker-dsc00089.jpg

A little paint, some tool box liners on the bottom and a plywood top with laminate on it, and wow....what a bench.....Still in progress in these shots, but it provides a great work space, and enormous storage capacity.

Dave

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Dec 30, 2015), kbalch (Dec 30, 2015), PJs (Dec 30, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Dave M! We've added your Workbench to our Workbenches category, as well as to your builder page: Dave M's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Hi Dave,

Welcome!

I'd never considered the med cart bench solution, but I'll be on the lookout for them now!

Let's see some photos of your Chevy project. Lots of car guys here would be very interested to follow along with your progress. What have you done to it?

Ken

Thanks
    Great idea on turning the carts into a workbench. My wife is a nurse, and when they were cleaning out a room or two, I was able to get a single cart that I keep my bench top drill press on. Now I wish I had gotten a lot more of them when I had the chance. Thanks for posting, and welcome to the site.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Did you get good casters with those? I'm curious because I know the quality ones are pricey.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information