Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: locking plier testing

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

locking plier testing

I probably own a couple dozen locking pliers most of which are vice grip and many of those are Peterson USA made pre Irwin
    I've never heard the Malco which as it turns out to be the only locking plier made in the USA

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 6, 2021), baja (Sep 7, 2021), Jon (Sep 6, 2021), rarmintrout (Sep 10, 2021), rlm98253 (Sep 6, 2021), uv8452 (Sep 7, 2021), ztoolman (Sep 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Thumbs up .....but wait! There's more, Pliers A-plenty!

Malco is the sheet metal, siding, HVAC etc tool company. They do a good job, with hardly [if any] general advertising, concentrating on the trades. Right there is a signal, going after bang for the buck. Despite searching, no-one else manufactures a blind notcher, used this erecting 28' of vinyl fencing.
    locking plier testing-malco_notchers.jpg
    Probably should post that too; serious work mounting to concrete slab, yet designed for sunken posts. Aye Carumba!

Pre Irwin ViseGrip has a huge following; used tools going for close to or more cost than newly made competitors.
    My current go-to happens to be Milwaukee [yes, power tool Milwaukee]. Taiwan made, which I find satisfactory, and very good at certain tasks. 1st purchase, this long nosed pair at 7".
    locking plier testing-milw_7s.jpg
    Had dozens of carpet staples to extract from hardwood [Lakewood, CA 1941] oak floor. These clearly are finish ground while closed and locked; nipping right onto the staple diameter, despite no space to floor surface. Some broke, but still could grab tiny single protrusions.
    The clamp isn't a knurled screw, which turn out now OK for younger hands. These accept a cross bar, not needed so far.
    I was so impressed, went back for 2 more pair. Clamping, in my book, requires 3 units; 2 for secure orientation, a 3rd for moving one that might be in the way.

Otherwise, while Knipex is the epitome, my loyalties are divided by not only price, but performance, and availability.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 5, 2021 at 12:45 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 6, 2021), Jon (Sep 6, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Anytime I visit a pawn shop there are 2 specific things I'm looking for 1 is what is called wall hanger firearms. being non operational there is not even any paper work to be filled out, if I can buy one for basically scrap price. Then after inspecting it I determine which way to go with it, use it for parts, replace missing or damaged parts or strip anything useable and scrap it or if it has a vintage to it I may even hang it on the wall.
    the 2nd thing I look for is locking pliers preferably any brand made pre off shore sell out I will almost pass up a pair of Irwin's for a pair of old Wards Powercraft. of a pair of craftsman's that say Sears on them, but Petersons no matter the condition always wind up at the cash register

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    POWERCRAFT! I only have 2, but they are the adjustable parallel jaw version. Monkey Ward contracted them, I don't recall actual manufacturer, but they are terrific at re-forming edges of sheet metal, up to 18 or 16 gauge, and large but thin [plated even] hex hardware like motorcycle fork-tube caps.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 6, 2021)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    I prefer original 'Mole-Grips', but the UK factory was bought up and closed down some years ago, possibly by Irwin?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have a pair of vice-grip brand locking pliers made before they started adding an easy release lever
    locking plier testing-img_20210912_114418vg.jpg
    locking plier testing-img_20210912_114427.jpg
    locking plier testing-img_20210912_114436vg.jpg
    locking plier testing-img_20210912_114617vg.jpg
    they even still have the spring
    locking plier testing-img_20210912_114655vg.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information