I wasnít happy with absence of power cross feed on my lathe, so decided to make one. After numerous drawings, I realized that with this modification I can also have longitudinal power feed. Didnít want to cut keyway in lead screw, as I might ruin that one and then I would need to buy new lead screw. Anyhow this is obsolete design and lead screw suffers more than it is necessary. Other option was to install feed shaft. Didnít even think of using DC motor and PWM controller like I did for power feed at my milling machine.
Not much space inside the apron, but there is plenty space outside of the apron. Cross feed wheel and half nut lever are still intact without any new hole in them and all are used for this modification. Carriage wheel got one new hole and apron got plenty holes. If I have to do it again, I would fabricate completely new apron and would use the very same design; feed shaft, wormbox, long/cross selector and engagement sear. But in that case I wouldnít be limited with awkward positions of existing parts inside the apron.
Nice addition to this apron is automatic stop for longitudinal feeding. The same flat bar for automatic feed stop will be used for automatic threading stop, but more about it after I complete this job. Tried to make better system than one which can be found on cheap lathes; just selector which engage cross and long. gears. Thatís why I used both; selector and lock, so it canít get out by itself. Idea about that latch for the sear came after numerous drawings.
Feed shaft was made from 15 mm dia 316 SS and after keyway was cut, observed that shaft was bent upward about 5 mm in length of approx. 1 meter. Took me some time till I got it straight again.
Couple of drawings posted here are for information only. Not to be used for making parts. Drawings were made during my last contract, based on measurements which I got from my nephew. (I was on board and he took measurements at home.) Needles to say that these measurements were not accurate at all, so almost every part was modified. Some parts were fabricated couple of times. Drawings were not updated for that changes.
This job kept me busy couple of hours per day almost every day for 3 months and I still didnít finish it. Expect to complete this job by the end of May.