Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for Members in and around Oklahoma

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman44 View Post
    Hi Bill, Glad to hear from you. I'm mostly just here. Do you and Madokie know about the Guthrie Swap meet? Just askin. They didn't have one last year due to COVID and I am trying to find out if and when for this year. It's just a little thing but maybe we all could meet up there. Possibility. Checkin out the Shaper in your avatar. Nice. I have one. Sometimes I put in a block of AL and sit there just watching it work! Lol! Ken
    It's in better shape than in the avatar photo, but still not running. I got a set of 5/16-18 taps the other day to retap a messed up part, and I've recently made a new counter shaft for it, searching now for the arbor that countershaft mounts in. The bearing were very scratchy, and notchy, so need replaced. I found a 3phase 600rpm gearmotor for it a couple of years ago, got the VFD to run it, but still need to figure out the mounting of the motor. Fortunately my friend Bill Hinkle had one of the same type, the Lewis 10" shaper, and I've got photos of his motor setup.

I don't know if the Guthrie Ironworker's Faire and Swapmeet is happening this year, or not. I've signed up for email about it every year I've been there, and I was at the last one that did go, in the middle of the torrential downpour, but haven't heard a thing yet. If they open, even if there are no vendors, I'll go. It's normally right around my birthday, and I make attendance part of my birthday present to myself each year I can go.

I've also had the 2-shot Pfizer vaccination, and I'm past the point where I should be immune to the virus, and I'm about tired of hanging around this stinking place. Too bad they don't have a fanged emoticon. I need it these days!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Apr 30, 2021)

Thanks
    Wow! I'll bet we may know each other, by sight at least. I was a friend of Wild Bill also. Sadly you know he passed away?? Were you ever at one of his, MEsO I think it was, shindigs? Yea, I was there getting wet at the last Guthrie meet. I was hoping the guy with the farm bed truck with the Cutters and bits would show up. I like him. But he didn't so I'm running low on cutters. He will pack his pockets with $$$ if he is there this year, assuming it happens. If you hear anything please let me know and I will do the same for you. I think I may still have Bob Paddocks' number somewhere. Oh, and mine is an Atlas 7. Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Chiming in from Missouri again. Glad Ken got some local responses, told him they would.
    Just buzzed through Guthrie 2x last week on Texas round trip. Not aware of a meet there, NO-body related such events hereabouts in MO or KS. Someone have a link for it?
    Leaving Monday to retrieve a keyseater, welder/ generator, and rucker a small pallet for a fellow in central KS. Keyseater gets spot next to shaper, a 24" Cincinnati.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 30, 2021 at 10:45 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Hey there Toolmaker51! Yep you were right, patience is not my strong suit but I have been getting better with old age and grand kids.
    The meet is the Southwest Old Ironworks swap meet. 302 W College, Guthrie OK. Usually it's in May sometime. I have not been able to find a current link (all old ones) and my contact number no longer works. So I'm hoping someone messages me also.
    There is some old info at www.anvilmag.com/smith/112f1.htm fwiw. There is much more Machining tools there now. Usually a guy comes and fires up the forge and makes Roses for the Ladies. The old smelter still exists in the back building but its in rough shape.
    The year before last there was an attempt to cast a bell as a demo. Unfortunately they didn't melt enough metal for the pour and also did not provide enough vents, so the pour failed. But it was still interesting. Ken
    Last edited by Canyonman44; May 1, 2021 at 06:12 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Canyonman44 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 2, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    ......snipped...not snippity......
    The meet is the Southwest Old Ironworks swap meet. 302 W College, Guthrie OK. Usually it's in May sometime. I have not been able to find a current link (all old ones) and my contact number no longer works. So I'm hoping someone messages me also.
    There is some old info at www.anvilmag.com/smith/112f1.htm fwiw. There is much more Machining tools there now........Ken
    This is an enjoyable sounding event; not far off and prospects for decent weather. My oft-used "need shots and a passport" quip unapplicable. With 2-3 days advance notice I'd likely give it a go.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Hi to All who were wondering on the status of the Guthrie Old Ironworks Swap Meet. I got (thru much research) ahold of the owner of the place.
    There will be NO Swap meet this year. Bummer, I need cutters. Ken

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Canyonman44 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Hi to All who were wondering on the status of the Guthrie Old Ironworks Swap Meet. I got (thru much research) ahold of the owner of the place.
    There will be NO Swap meet this year. Bummer, I need cutters. Ken
    More fallout courtesy of the pandemonium, I mean pandemic. No, right the first time.......
    As they say, "Never let a crisis go to waste".

On the bright side, once wiring goes in, a guy we know has a dang near full tool grinding setup.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Hi, Actually Tool, He wanted to have one but a couple of pipes burst flooding the whole place. I told him I was sure that if he had one everyone would chip in to help clean up. He faltered a bit but it was still no. Ken

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I stand corrected.
    It's become too easy to blame you-know-what for everything. Unfortunately, still deserves a high percentage.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information