Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lurker no more

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Lurker no more

I've been lurking for about a year. I'm James from North Central Texas and I have been setting up my home shop. I am into metalworking and have been collecting machinery. I've been learning lathe work on a pair of 6x18 and 12x36 Atlas lathes. I also have a pair of Clausing mills, a 8520 vertical and a 8540 horizontal. I just brought home a South Bend 16" lathe with a 12' bed. As soon as I get it in the shop, I'm going to do a tear down to inspect, lubricate, replace felts and any worn parts I find. I've also cut a deal for a G.A. Gray planer from the very early 1900's. I have to travel a bit to pick that one up soon. I've also purchased an Atlas 7B shaper that will arrive in a month or so as soon as the owner returns from vacation.

So far all I've done is make bits and pieces of tooling for my machines but I have some more involved projects in mind as soon as I get the new arrivals set up and powered.

As a bit of background, I'm a retired master electrician and spent the last 12 years of my electrical career as a industrial power, control and instrumentation contractor and the past 15 years as a medical IT consultant. My hobbies are motorcycling, amateur gunsmithing, auto restoration, computers, electronics and generally anything do to with interesting machinery or tools.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi James,

Welcome!

Sounds as though you've had a long and interesting career. You'll find lots of guys around here with very similar hobbies. Motorcycles, guns, cars, electronics, anything mechanical, etc. Sounds like me!

If you haven't already done so, check out our Machining category. Lots of great homemade tools and projects there for your perusal. When you're ready to share some of your own, we'd love to see them. Please post directly in the Homemade Tools subforum. We'll add each of your contributions to the database, as well as to your builder page on the site.

Non-tool items should be shared in the Not a Tool, but Homemade subforum.

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi James and welcome to the forum this is the right place for you to share your knowledge about your electrical career and some knowledge about machinery.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information