Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine for installing tires on rims - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts

Machine for installing tires on rims - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Gregraper33712 (Sep 3, 2018), marksbug (Sep 1, 2018), PJs (Aug 31, 2018), sak778 (Sep 12, 2020), Seedtick (Aug 31, 2018), that_other_guy (Sep 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Funny, back in the day when I was turning a wrench and had to change tires once in a while I got pretty good and fast at it so I could get back to wrenching and making money. The guys in the shop kept bugging me to race "Tommy Tire" (fastest guy around). Finally did and beat Master Tommy Tire in a race with 4 365R70 x 17 4x4 tires...off the vehicle, dismount, mount, balance, back on the vehicle. Takes a lot out of you tossing those moose's around and not even sure they make them that big anymore! That was back when people jacked up their 4x4's so tall you needed a step stool to get in or work under the hood...and didn't have a scratch on them...never seen dirt...more money than sense.

Wonder if shops now days could afford this setup!

Thanks Jon!

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by PJs; Aug 31, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    WOW.....just last week I spent probably two hours and a normally unspoken vocabulary changing a lawn mower tire. Couldn't find a shop that would do it.

Thanks
    I put tires on the front of my bug last month in my living room...about 5 min each and 3 tie raps each.I already had the he tires off to remachine the wheels. of coarse they were aluminum sand wheels so they do mount almost by them selvs....almost. I machined some holes in them,reworked the lug pattern,got them a little straighter too. wish I could put them in my press.....I also set them up to re doo the finish. putting tires on them was the easy part.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 1, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Foam tire removal machine. Foam tires are often used on heavy equipment, in low speed situations where the risk of tire puncture is high. The foam used here is very dense and heavy.

And no, I don't understand why this is so soothing. I fell asleep watching it last night.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 16, 2018), PJs (Sep 15, 2018), sak778 (Sep 12, 2020), Seedtick (Sep 14, 2018)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    I wanted to see them put it back together again!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Radioman For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    I wanted to see them put it back together again!
    I'm afraid that is 1 of those humpty Dumpty moments
    Last winter I put new tires on the front of my 8n Ford tractor. In the first field I shredded I had to dismount and repair both of them 3 or 4 times Enough I said so I pulled the wheels off and sent them to be filled with foam the tires are small ony 4.00 by 19" rims and the cost was only $50.00 per tire If I hadn't have done the patches myself I would have already spent more than that in tire repair alone. The rear tires are older so not worth foaming even though the added weight would be a huge advantage so I pumped 3 gallons of purple puncture resistant fluid in them. If I ever put new tires on the rear I will have them foamed but they will be around $300.00 each to foam them sue to the amount of material required.
    I am repairing a Zero turn lawnmower for a friend, he mentioned something about having the tires foamed since they wer flat and half rotted.
    I told him nuy new tires then have them filled since the tread was mostly worn off the old ones. That was what he did new tires $50.00 each and the foaming came to $25.00 each they should out last him now

What I don't understand about the tires being cut apart is why didn't they have them ground down and re capped with new tread unless they had already done this a few times and the carcass was becoming degraded
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 16, 2018), PJs (Sep 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I'm afraid that is 1 of those humpty Dumpty moments
    Last winter I put new tires on the front of my 8n Ford tractor. In the first field I shredded I had to dismount and repair both of them 3 or 4 times Enough I said so I pulled the wheels off and sent them to be filled with foam the tires are small ony 4.00 by 19" rims and the cost was only $50.00 per tire If I hadn't have done the patches myself I would have already spent more than that in tire repair alone. The rear tires are older so not worth foaming even though the added weight would be a huge advantage so I pumped 3 gallons of purple puncture resistant fluid in them. If I ever put new tires on the rear I will have them foamed but they will be around $300.00 each to foam them sue to the amount of material required.
    I am repairing a Zero turn lawnmower for a friend, he mentioned something about having the tires foamed since they wer flat and half rotted.
    I told him nuy new tires then have them filled since the tread was mostly worn off the old ones. That was what he did new tires $50.00 each and the foaming came to $25.00 each they should out last him now

What I don't understand about the tires being cut apart is why didn't they have them ground down and re capped with new tread unless they had already done this a few times and the carcass was becoming degraded
    Frank, the tyre being cut away may be from a mining company machine. If that is the case, the fitter would be doing a replacement so as to justify the price being charged.
    Just an idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Yep have to spend the money somewhere. A lot of mining companies will have their huge 30,000 dollar tires recapped at least 3 times at a cost of $7500.00 each then replace the 4th time around. I once hauled 4 tires from Houston TX to Ogden UT they looked new but you cold tell body was used head a big #3 burned in them. Not foam filled but the 4 tires weighed 40,000 lbs 10 ft diameter 4 feet wide my trailer was 36" deck height so hauled them standing that way no need for OD load permits. I asked the dealer in Utah what the # 3 was for he said it was the 3rd time they had been capped so the next time they would be cut up
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 16, 2018), sak778 (Sep 12, 2020)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Interesting to me about the process/costs that Frank talked about and what kind of foam that is. It almost has a look of some silicone blend. The other "Soothing" thing is that it looks to me like the operator of the machine seems to be controlling the deck (x axis I'm calling it) and cutter arm through levers or something just out of frame. Not dinking the rim with the cutter by manual ops would make sense and keep the machine simple.

Although the cost of "Run-Flats" has come down some for passenger vehicle, Man they are esspensiiive and coming as stock tires now even on lower cost vehicles...so be prepared when they wear out! Sold as a safety feature at a Cost!

Very cool and thought provoking Jon, Thanks!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information