Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Machine for installing tires on rims - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I'm not sure if the Presidential beast is equipped with run flat tires, foam filled ones or special made semisolid tires
    It spends most of its time being driven at a snails pace but as I understand it, the thing is capable of a frightening speed for its size and weight.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    if they made the rims like bead lock rims ( bolt on type)they could just change the tire and not have to change the foam core every tyme.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 15, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    if they made the rims like bead lock rims ( bolt on type)they could just change the tire and not have to change the foam core every tyme.
    That's interesting. There must be a good reason - why aren't foam tires beadlockers?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That's interesting. There must be a good reason - why aren't foam tires beadlockers?
    If you will notice the rim is a standard 3 or 4 piece tubeless rim that any piece of large earth moving equipment might have. These tires could be removed whole providing there was a large enough press to push the bead ring in about an inch then the secondary lock ring could be removed and the primary lock ring removed then the bead ring could be removed and the tire pulled off. the problem here is that all depends on a deflated tire without a huge press removing the outer rim parts would be impossible plus the rubber core exerts pressure inward on the rim as outward on the tire so not only would you have to break the bead loose from the inner ring after the outer was removed but you would need something power full enough to break the bond of the rubber on the rim. to pull the tire off.
    A lot of mining companies cover the tires on equipment like loaders in a heavy chain male,particularly in rock quarries.
    The smaller tires like the one shown being cut up, yes that is a smaller tire for the mining industry, would have been on a mid size loader or more probably on an articulating 6 wheel dump truck. There are a couple manufactures who make motor-graders that would use tires around that size. Or it could have come off of a skidder used in the forestry service.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have rubber foam filled tires on the front of 1 of my tractors and I wish I could afford to have the back tires filled if for nothing else the added weight without having to fill with water/antifreeze, or something like beet juice either of which will do nothing to guard against punctures

Thanks
    get out the caulking gun..... I had some filled tires on a gokart...they are kinda rough on light stuff. I friend brought them to us off the assembly line at a chicken plant. great for dollys too. Ive seen foam filling but it dont work out so well as the YouTube guys show it to.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information