Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Machinist Jack

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    If you want, I've been thinking about posting my humble mod of my HFT 14" to cut metal. I watched for a long time and picked up one locally for $75. The most expensive part of the mod was buying the nice blade guides online somewhere because I didn't have all the tooling and know how to make them at the time. It's been a great thing and is waaaay safer to use than the old horizontal bandsaw in vertical mode.
    Thanks, C-Bag. I got coupons. and have eyeballed theirs as well. Yes, Please Sir, show us what you did. Would love to get a feel for what all you had to do to make it workable. Those SFM numbers look proper to me. Blades are everything I think. Wish I could remember the brand of the ones I got for the DM's, they held up through thick and thin and Hard. Look forward to your post when you can! ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Apr 11, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks PJs! We've added your Machinist Jack to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: PJs's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    C-Bag,

I have a HFT store nearby so thank you for the recommendation to convert the HFT 14" vertical bandsaw to cut metals. Like you, I have been using YouTube as my "see what's out there" idea generator.

On my horizontal bandsaw, I use a high quality M42 (8% cobalt) bi-metal variable tooth 10-14 bandsaw blade that seems to last a long time. I cut just about any kind of steel with it but not drill rods. I use an abrasive cut-off wheel for the cutting drill rod in order to save the bandsaw blade (do this outside so the place doesn't smell like cordite).

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Apr 12, 2016 at 09:32 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Ok then, it's settled. I'm swamped today so it will be a couple of days, but I'll get my stuff together and get 'er posted.

Thanks for the encouragement.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 12, 2016), PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 403 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Hey PJ
    I think you did an excellent job on the jack, I love the way alloy steels finish, 4140 is my most favored steel along with O-1,

I keep telling myself I need to make a pair of them, or at least one, the only time I think about it is when I need one, little to late then wouldn't you say?

Anyway great job

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Hey PJ
    I think you did an excellent job on the jack, I love the way alloy steels finish, 4140 is my most favored steel along with O-1,

I keep telling myself I need to make a pair of them, or at least one, the only time I think about it is when I need one, little to late then wouldn't you say?

Anyway great job

Doug
    Thank you Kindly Doug. That coming from you is an honor. They are better as a pair and did want to make two but ran out of time, plus I want to work on the attachments and maybe a swivel head like the Starrett Mighty has. I've got all the numbers so should be able to reproduce them and the add-on's. I think 4140 is now my other favorite to 1144 stress relieved & O1 on the peanut. CRS is a tough one for it and poor finish.

Thanks again, ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    ...Agreed, never too many clamps. What I thought was ingenious about your machinist jack build was the ball bearing...Very cool! Interesting use and a good topic possibly for various uses of these versatile & handy little tools. ~PJ
    Probably my oft-used case for machinist jacks is inspection. They'll support most any object which hasn't a flat or plane to start from on a surface plate, or machine table.
    Usually I set two an arbitrary height [via height gauge] and regulate the level position with the third. Just takes an indicator to finish within small increments, but I start with the height gauge, subtracting highest reading from lowest. Also pays to record amount of change your jacks produce in one revolution, write it on the base. Since so many varieties exist, none are same thread pitch, it's the easiest reference.
    IMHO, some commercial jacks have too-small a thread diameter + too-coarse thread pitch. Those detract from the purpose. That is avoided making your own, in mind a decent diameter and small pitch support more weight, while offering greater mechanical advantage by lessened pitch incline.
    While satisfying to achieve a close fit, they work best if they turn easily! A wrench is convenient, but can be fiddly. I like small crossbars more, and just in case, 4 wrench flats, not 6.
    Why you ask?. Because 4 flats have more engagement area in a smaller equivalent wrench size!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 3, 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: because I always find worthy additions.... [and typos]
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 4, 2017), PJs (Dec 7, 2017)

Thread Information