Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: making the grooves for a mig feed roller?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Des; Have you tried to contact Bob the welder in Ballina 02 6681 3393 He may be able to locate them for you or direct you to where you can find them.
    Cigweld is an Essab brand this link may direct you
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=51933...JvbGxzLw&ntb=1
    Anning if it welds for a while and shuts down a few have found the transformer on the PCB had an intermittent short replacing the 12va transformer with a slightly larger Va rated one solved the issue. connecting the machine to a circuit on the mains with a higher amperage rating has helped others. Any of these smaller machines no matter the manufacture does not fare well with voltage drop from line loss. I've had Telwin, Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, and numerous other brand units, that would die because of trying to use them on too long of a small diameter extension cord. Line voltage loss is a huge killer of anything.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 3, 2023 at 07:32 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

trevor_60_r's Tools
    Hi Des,

The Bossweld one they make for UniMig would be very close to what you want with some small modification like making a bush to fit in the center of it as the hole is 22mm and wouldn't be hard to make. Would have to make a spacer to fit at the back if needed to get grove to line up. Bossweld and some of other companies make feed rollers for different machines so you may get another one closer to fit.

{UPDATE} Just found this one
    This one would be real close
    https://www.hampdon.com.au/Gasless-F...30-x-10-x-19mm

It fits the following machines

• Bossweld
    • Unimig
    • WIA Weldmatic 215
    • Weldskill 155 & 185
    • Transmig 185 ultra
    • Weldskill 250 & 350c
    • Weldskill 4R Wire feeder
    • Transmig 165ST, 175i & 175i+
    • Transmig 200, 225, 255, 275, 350 & 400
    • Transmig 215SE & 265SE
    • Transmig 320SP, 400SP & 500SP
    • Transmig VF4 & VRF4 Wire feeder
    • CIG equivelent part # 7977734 (0.8mm)
    • Suits WIA W26 Series

Thanks Trevor

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to trevor_60_r For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 5, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    You can buy an entire wire feed assembly on AliExpress for like $70.

Also they have a wide variety of rollers, some which may be a direct fit or some others with very large arbor holes which would be ideal if you were to make your own bushing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...wire-feed.html

Lots of options on there.

Or you can buy an absolutely DIRT cheap spool gun and convert your machine to use that. I've bought a bunch of them. They're far better than they have any business being for $50.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041973384.html

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Thanks All... @Trevor - that is the roller I've bought from AIMS industrial (made by Bossweld) - with the 19mm width, I should be able to drop a M5 set screw (grub screw) between the grooves to engage the flat on the drive axle in the transmig - that's the plan for this coming weekend anyway. FWIW I found AIMS industrial was about 30-40% cheaper than anyone else (including shipping) for the parts I bought... Hampdon was next cheapest.

@ Frank - I hadn't tried Bob, but I did have a helpful contact inside CIG tech support who checked their obsolete/ old stock category and he confirmed no availability of the parts I needed. I've read the transformer issue somewhere before, and that is the next thing to replace once my new relay arrives this week.

I did several unloaded tests (pulled the trigger 30 times, saw the relays click in and the wirefeed spindle turn 30 times) and everything looks good now the connections are all tight and remade. I then did a loaded test (burned some wire using the wrong wire for the roller in it) and found for 20 trigger pulls, I got normal operation 18 times, and twice the trigger pull acted as if it was dead - then the next pull and it worked fine.
    I've ran conduction tests over the trigger wires and it's passing when I shake/move the handpiece lead.
    back to testing without load ( no wire burning), and I'm back to 30 of 30 again.
    Assuming the transformer is loading differently when the machine is actually burning wire, I will replace it as a preemptive strike.

@nova-robotics - thanks for the tip on aliexpress - I looked at some of those options before I found the rollers in AIMS - I was quite impressed with some of the options in Aliexpress until I logged in and the moment that happened all the prices changed. Shipping with Ali is often what breaks their appeal for me. (looked at some wingnuts on the weekend - $15 for the wingnuts, $68 for the shipping - compare that to $25 inc shipping locally in Aus)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by desbromilow; Nov 5, 2023 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typos

6. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

trevor_60_r (Nov 14, 2023)

Thread Information