Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making wine barrels - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts

Making wine barrels - video

Making wine barrels.

Previously:

Charring oak whiskey barrels - GIF
    How giant oak beer barrels are made - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 27, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 25, 2018)

Thanks
    A long time ago in a woodworking class I saw a short documentary called "Cooperage" directed by Canadian filmmaker Phillip Borsos. It was brilliant - all the way from trees being cut down to finished barrels rolling out the cooperage in 17 minutes. Shot at the Sweeney Cooperage in Vancouver, an old family-owned company with overhead shaft-driven machines, etc., the only wooden-barrel making company in Canada. I have searched high and low trying to find a copy of it. I'd love to see it again!

It was Borsos' first film. He did two more short documentaries - "Spartree" and "Nails" (which was nominated for an Academy Award) - and then went on to features, include "The Grey Fox" starring Richard Farnsworth.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I watched that video a half dozen times and, for the life of me, I still cannot figure out what causes that third barrel stay to "bounce" up from the clamp on the bottom??
    It almost seems like there is a sharp blast of air that "launches" it upwards but that is more a fantastic guess than a rational reason .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockguy View Post
    I watched that video a half dozen times and, for the life of me, I still cannot figure out what causes that third barrel stay to "bounce" up from the clamp on the bottom??
    It almost seems like there is a sharp blast of air that "launches" it upwards but that is more a fantastic guess than a rational reason .....
    The stay next to the barrel as it's being formed is an adjustable stay, they drop it over the widest part of the barrel and and then adjust it in place where you see it on the video. Then then they flip the barrel over insert the topmost stay, remove the adjustable one and replace it with a permanent one.

If you look closely. you'll notice a an adjustment screw on the stays standing next to the barrels.

Marc

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magi For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 26, 2018), PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockguy View Post
    I don't think it's so much bouncing as being adjusted by hand - but in time lapse, though we see the worker zipping around we don't see all the movements as they happen.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information