Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Manually digging a fish pond - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,860 Times in 9,935 Posts

Manually digging a fish pond - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 3, 2023), rlm98253 (Nov 4, 2023), tuchie (Oct 30, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Can't argue with what works. A heck of a lot of work there! Looks like they are digging out an existing pond. I drove by hundreds of fish and shrimp ponds outsid eof Guangzhou China. Those people do not fool around!

Mark

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,791 Times in 4,209 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When I was a kid my uncle, who lived a couple miles from us contacted some county guy, who brought out a few sticks of dynamite.to clean out a dried up very silted pond. Us kids were tasked with auguring small-bore holes spaced at several intervals to varying depths. The county guy then inserted the sticks of explosives in the holes, short pieces in the outer ring of holes and progressively longer pieces in the circles as they grew smaller and deeper until the middle much larger borehole. Everything was wired the holes were carefully repacked with at the fertilizer and soil, then connected to a rotary switch a good distance away from the pond. From our safe area He connected a large dry-cell battery to the switch then gave it a spin the charges went boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, The silt was blown out of the pond in all directions. Then us kids had to use shovels and wheelbarrows to finish cleaning out the remaining loose dirt We thought that was the best entertainment we had ever had even clearing out the rest of the dirt wasn't bad. There was an almost a perfect bowl-shaped pond from the blast.

Probably couldn't do something like that today.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

davesrepair (Nov 4, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When I was a kid my uncle, who lived a couple miles from us contacted some county guy, who brought out a few sticks of dynamite.to clean out a dried up very silted pond. Us kids were tasked with auguring small-bore holes spaced at several intervals to varying depths. The county guy then inserted the sticks of explosives in the holes, short pieces in the outer ring of holes and progressively longer pieces in the circles as they grew smaller and deeper until the middle much larger borehole. Everything was wired the holes were carefully repacked with at the fertilizer and soil, then connected to a rotary switch a good distance away from the pond. From our safe area He connected a large dry-cell battery to the switch then gave it a spin the charges went boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, The silt was blown out of the pond in all directions. Then us kids had to use shovels and wheelbarrows to finish cleaning out the remaining loose dirt We thought that was the best entertainment we had ever had even clearing out the rest of the dirt wasn't bad. There was an almost a perfect bowl-shaped pond from the blast.

Probably couldn't do something like that today.
    Awesome story Frank. And you still remember it like yesterday!

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 8,791 Times in 4,209 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Awesome story Frank. And you still remember it like yesterday!

Mark
    A lot of things we did as kids or were present when they were done are like indelible ink on vellum.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

davesrepair (Nov 4, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Nov 4, 2023)

Thread Information