Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marking gauce with micro adjustment

Thanks

Hardi_Boy2's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Hardi_Boy2,

You've got a cheek copying my marking gauge and saying you designed it.
    I'm pee'd off

Ken
    I was given some hand drawn diagrams with dimensions by an associate back in late 2014, I had no idea where this person got this design/idea from. I modelled in cad late 2014, I had to play around with design for it to work in parametric and believed it was a unique idea. I have since look at neksmerj thread and I guess this person thought they could duplicate the idea as it not “Copyright” or even “Do Not Copy”. I do apologise if you think I copied your work, however I did design this tool from a rough drawing on a scrap piece paper.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I too wish to protest, it may be legal but its certainly not right.

If theres any argument take a look at this in this very forum, some time back in 2013.

http://www.homemadetools.net/marking-gauge-12.

Not impressed!

Ozwelder

It has the photos (and PDF drawings on the Aussie metalwork site.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Ozwelder; Apr 27, 2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: link did not work

Thanks

jhovel's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardi_Boy2 View Post
    ....I have since look at neksmerj thread and I guess this person thought they could duplicate the idea as it not “Copyright” or even “Do Not Copy”. I do apologise if you think I copied your work, however I did design this tool from a rough drawing on a scrap piece paper.
    You don't have to apologise for YOUR work! It is nice that you did a new parametric CAD drawing. Maybe other people will thank you for that.
    You are also allowed to COPY Ken's drawings and give them to other people and so on. Please MAKE the tool for yourself and show us YOUR work. We are all always interested in seeing other people's machining and creativity.
    BUT you HAVE to credit the original design to the designer. If you really did this without knowing where the design came from, you should have written "based on a sketch from an associate, designer unknown". THAT would be perfectly OK. We all find things and can't trace the origins. But we don't write "I designed something new. Have a look."
    Hope you like making and using it.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Thanks
    Hardi-boy 2, that is interesting, i saw this design on another forum, problem being, it predates yours my several years. What are the chances of you coming up with the exact same design. The drawings look awfully familiar too! I think it apprpriate for homemadetools.net to step in, better than being complicit!

Thanks
    I don't except your excuse. Why would someone make hand drawn sketches with dimensions when my cad drawings were published. Where did your mystery man get the dimensions if not from my drawings?

I'm not pissed off if you wish to make this marking gauge, just don't say it was your design when clearly it was not.

Ken

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neksmerj For This Useful Post:

BaronJ (Apr 28, 2016)

Thanks

Hardi_Boy2's Tools
    I wasn't offering an excuse just a genuine explanation where I got the original idea for the gauge. My gauge is different than yours, might look similar but it's different and I had no idea someone else did something like this before your post. I'm not in the habit of copying other peoples designs and claiming as my own. Will post more of my own designs later on. I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing this to keep my mind active due to illness which stops me from working.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information