Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Masonry hole saw - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts

Masonry hole saw - GIF

Masonry hole saw.

Previously:

Drywall holesaw - photo
    Induction brazing hole saw teeth - GIF
    Giant hole saw - photo and video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 24, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    That's like the one I made to drill holes for placing underground sprinklers.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 24, 2022)

Thanks
    That would work, but not for too many holes before it got dull beyond repair or it burned up, and it would be very dusty as well. Nothing worse than making a hugh dusty mess of a jobsite with concrete dust all the other contractors will hate you so much! And nothing worse than your boring tool going south in the middle of the day on a jobsite becuase you burnt it up doing 200 holes. Imagine breathing all that dust or having to keep a pocket full of masks, a head covering and googles. Than you have to keep cleaning those off and /or live the rest of the day with all that dust in your hair, inside your shirt and shorts.
    An elderly and experienced contractor taught me to work smarter.
    The key to a clean job and long concrete cutter life is flowing water with a small amount of a surfactant added to it. Doing that has made my concrete cutters last years with only a mild honing once in a while. Before I knew that "secret" I used to do holes like that and than I got tired of buying new bits/saws/bors all the time. IF you can't get the water everywhere you use a shop vac with sand tube barriers around the area. Than clean up with a floor squeegee. The job site foreman is always impressed with your professionalism and they recommend you on the next job they are on.
    Last edited by mccwho; Feb 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mccwho For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Dec 3, 2022), Frank S (Dec 3, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    That's like the one I made to drill holes for placing underground sprinklers.
    I ground teeth on one end of a 2' long stainless pipe I picked at the metal pile, and turn it with an adapter by a 1/2" drill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Masonry hole saw - GIF-drill-point-2.png   Masonry hole saw - GIF-drill-drive-2.png  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

mccwho (Feb 26, 2022)

Thanks
    I ground teeth on one end of a 2' long stainless pipe I picked at the metal pile, and turn it with an adapter by a 1/2" drill.
    oh yeah, that's sure going to drill you a hole lotta holes in… what?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cognitdiss View Post
    oh yeah, that's sure going to drill you a hole lotta holes in… what?
    If you can read, and comprehend text and photos, it's fairly self-explanatory.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 4, 2022)

Thanks
    If you can read, and comprehend text and photos, it's fairly self-explanatory.
    Um, based on the text and the photos the only thing that looks like it will drill through repeatedly is soft insulating fire brick, a few sheets of MDF and maybe dog doo. Definitely not masonry. Wasn't this thread about a guy drilling through masonry with a dry drill? Is this drill going to go through masonry? Heeeeeeel no. But I wont't post pics of every crap drill bit I made when the store was closed either just cause I'm proud of my bad ol self either, so I'm just a bit confused, see.

But, that just might be my mistaken impression based on the pics and text. Maybe this thing will core drill through magma to China and pop out of the OP's hole right after one of bis segments falls off and binds his drill good and tight, who knows?? Hahahhahahahaaaa

oh I see, I missed a quote. Whoops. Still though. Waiting for pics of that baby popping through a slab, I know you got 'em.
    Last edited by cognitdiss; Dec 4, 2022 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Gadgeteer, merely stated the bit drilling the masonry looked like the one he had made for the purpose of drilling holes in dirt to install sprinkler heads. He never made any claims about using his for hard materials. For that purpose, his bit could conceivably drill 100s if not 1000s of holes. Had he needed to drill through masonry or even hard rock he could have removed the carbide tips from a circular saw blade then brazed them to the teeth of his drill, kept his RPMs in check and with a flood of water done equally as good a job as a store-bought masonry core bit
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Gadgeteer (Dec 4, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cognitdiss View Post
    Um, based on the text and the photos the only thing that looks like it will drill through repeatedly is soft insulating fire brick, a few sheets of MDF and maybe dog doo. Definitely not masonry. Wasn't this thread about a guy drilling through masonry with a dry drill? Is this drill going to go through masonry? Heeeeeeel no. But I wont't post pics of every crap drill bit I made when the store was closed either just cause I'm proud of my bad ol self either, so I'm just a bit confused, see.

But, that just might be my mistaken impression based on the pics and text. Maybe this thing will core drill through magma to China and pop out of the OP's hole right after one of bis segments falls off and binds his drill good and tight, who knows?? Hahahhahahahaaaa

oh I see, I missed a quote. Whoops. Still though. Waiting for pics of that baby popping through a slab, I know you got 'em.
    Well, that proves it... you, obviously, can't comprehend text, and accompanying photos, or chose not to. I'm not going to waste time, explaining methodology to someone in which there is no hope of illuminating.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 4, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Gadgeteer, merely stated the bit drilling the masonry looked like the one he had made for the purpose of drilling holes in dirt to install sprinkler heads. He never made any claims about using his for hard materials. For that purpose, his bit could conceivably drill 100s if not 1000s of holes. Had he needed to drill through masonry or even hard rock he could have removed the carbide tips from a circular saw blade then brazed them to the teeth of his drill, kept his RPMs in check and with a flood of water done equally as good a job as a store-bought masonry core bit
    Hi, Frank. I was, actually, elated that my simple drill for removing dirt plugs in order to insert sprinkler heads worked as well as it did. I, always, soaked the small area with water to turn dirt to mud, prior to my drilling. The holes were just a slight bit larger than the diameter of the sprinkler heads, and made the job so much easier. Then, the problem shifted to removing the mud from the inside of the drill bit... but, I figured a way. :-)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information