Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mat foundation pouring operation - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

Mat foundation pouring operation - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 18, 2021), jimfols (Mar 20, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Mar 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Mar 17, 2021), Rangi (Mar 18, 2021), rlm98253 (Mar 20, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 18, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I've done some big pours, but nothing like this. The logistics of that pour, while impressive, are not as impressive as that rebar cage.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I've done some big pours, but nothing like this. The logistics of that pour, while impressive, are not as impressive as that rebar cage.
    THis is pretty massive. My largest was 38000 square feet. But we broke it into 5 pours. THis is bigger. ANd much thicker than a normal commercial floor. Taint no 6 inches there!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 17, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    THis is pretty massive. My largest was 38000 square feet. But we broke it into 5 pours. THis is bigger. ANd much thicker than a normal commercial floor. Taint no 6 inches there!
    That's a decent sized pour. I think the biggest I've ever seen was the foundation for a cone crusher for a gold mine. I wasn't actaully on that project though. For projects I was on maybe some of the big equipment bases, like this giant vibratory screen a few years ago. Hard to say. The big solid cubes of concrete are no fun though. It's the pours with all the weird geometry that are interesting. Have you ever done a project with pre-stressed concrete? I haven't, but I find that interesting as well. Even just jelly bean pre-fab core slabs are kinda neat (but I've never done that either - only installed them after they were fabricated and delivered to site).

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    That's a decent sized pour. I think the biggest I've ever seen was the foundation for a cone crusher for a gold mine. I wasn't actaully on that project though. For projects I was on maybe some of the big equipment bases, like this giant vibratory screen a few years ago. Hard to say. The big solid cubes of concrete are no fun though. It's the pours with all the weird geometry that are interesting. Have you ever done a project with pre-stressed concrete? I haven't, but I find that interesting as well. Even just jelly bean pre-fab core slabs are kinda neat (but I've never done that either - only installed them after they were fabricated and delivered to site).
    The last pour I did was a re-pour of my garage floor! Large concrete work is decades ago. I might be doing a 40 x 60 shop building. But that will done pretty much off of trucks with those mini pumps/conveyors on them. I'm getting lazy!

As for pre-stressed. Nope. Like you it interests me. I have an idea for a decent sized vertical CNC milling machine that could use some pre-stressed sections. But that will be a geopolymer concrete not a Portland cement based concrete. Basically Roman concrete with a few chasers like a flow agent and some fiber reinforcing. I'm nowhere near as proficient at concrete work as I once was. But I appreciate what it takes. Few people give it much thought. As you say. The fun ones are the crazy shaped ones. Just the forming can be some serious carpentry skills on some of the stuff you see.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    geopolymer concrete not a Portland cement based concrete. Basically Roman concrete with a few chasers like a flow agent and some fiber reinforcing.
    Geopolymer sounds interesting. I'll have to do some reading. Have you looked at basalt reinforcement? That's on my bucket list as well. It's probably a terrible choice for your project, I've just been trying to find an excuse to try it out.

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    That is one big pour... they've even got three booster pumpers in the pit to reach the far corner. I've done a fair amount of commercial & residential flat-work, but nothing approaching this.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    My stepson may be driving one of the concrete trucks in this picture.

Thanks
    When I first started driving mixer trucks the company I worked for (Lonestar, now called Cal Portland) did a pour in Vancouver, Wa. that was the floor slab for some big electronics company that was 14000cy. I missed out on that one because the sign up list was full of senior drivers wanting the OT.
    I heard they basically evacuated the neighborhood around the project and put everybody up in local motels to avoid noise complaints. The job started on Friday evening and finished up in the wee hours of Sunday morning.
    The biggest pour I was ever involved in was for the Fox Tower foundation in Portland, Or. which was 4500cy right in downtown. There were 4 big Brundage Bone pumpers working with 2 onsite as backup incase something broke. Drivers didn't even get out of their trucks to pour we backed up to the pump and there were Plant managers, QC guys and other company guys that would guide us in flip down the chute, work the controls and scrape the chute when we were done. They were also batching out of 4 batch plants in 2 locations. ( 1 wet, 1 dry plant each location ) oh, good times.

Thanks
    We have a local cement delivery company with an interesting set up. Their trucks discharge the cement onto a high speed conveyor belt that literally throws the cement a fair distance into the receiving form. Pretty interesting to watch.

The first time I saw it work was on a sidewalk pour, I kind of wondered how much the company charges the guy to get to run the machine. Here is a similar truck spreading gravel.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unkle Fuzzy For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Mar 18, 2021), nova_robotics (Mar 18, 2021)

Thread Information