Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mechanical Engineering student with big homemade dreams

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,006 Times in 11,394 Posts
    This conversation encouraged me to look further into the issue of digital (aka "glass cockpit") vs. analog displays in airplane cockpits.

There are always many ways to interpret a single study, and I'm going to look further into this, but I must admit I was surprised to see that a study adopted by the National Transportation Safety Board demonstrated that glass cockpit airplanes have a higher fatal accident rate than similar analog planes:

Washington, DC - Today the National Transportation Safety Board adopted a study concluding that single engine airplanes equipped with glass cockpits had no better overall safety record than airplanes with conventional instrumentation.

The safety study, which was adopted unanimously by the Safety Board, was initiated more than a year ago to determine if light airplanes equipped with digital primary flight displays, often referred to as "glass cockpits," were inherently safer than those equipped with conventional instruments.

The study, which looked at the accident rates of over 8,000 small piston-powered airplanes manufactured between 2002 and 2006, found that those equipped with glass cockpits had a higher fatal accident rate then similar aircraft with conventional instruments.
    More: NTSB Study Shows Introduction Of 'Glass Cockpits' In General Aviation Airplanes Has Not Led To Expected Safety Improvements

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Not at all aw4cs, I was afraid I had laid it on too thick.

I prefer to think we here on HMT are here to help each other and conversation as its done through posting can be a little tough to catch without body language and the tonality of speech. You will find the folks here are pretty low key about judging a person's process and execution.

I know a lot of us "experienced"( read "old farts") get jazzed to see a young person who wants to get his hands dirty and join in the fun of actually making something with your brains and hands.

There is a TON of talent here and really amazing stuff in the archives. I wish you the best of luck with your journey and hope you'll want to share what you come up with. Jump in, the water's fine

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

aw4cs (Sep 25, 2016)

Thread Information