Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Media blasting booth

Thanks
    orjust tell them that you have a vid for sale of the other guy with their hand in the cookie jar and the other hand in a goat...or somethen like that, with viewing in a private room thats protected from ectronics so nobody can steel it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 5, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    orjust tell them that you have a vid for sale of the other guy with their hand in the cookie jar and the other hand in a goat...or somethen like that, with viewing in a private room thats protected from ectronics so nobody can steel it.
    That's a good one

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Frank you are reminding me of when I was blasting fire hydrants. 200CFM tow behind compressor on 1 1/2" air line. If I didn't pay attention it would knock me over flat on my butt. We shot Green grit. ( It's still silica ) and it was a force of nature. I like the idea of a large blasting cabinet. It will serve you well.

Thanks
    tomany people send thier air compressors to a early death when blasting when they need a compressor 3x as big as what they have. "oh just stop and let it catch up"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    tomany people send thier air compressors to a early death when blasting when they need a compressor 3x as big as what they have. "oh just stop and let it catch up"
    During the past few days of blasting I had a chance to connect the second compressor and tank to the system the second compressor turns out to be a Black Max 6.5 hp spl. duty motor and a 2 stage case iron sleeve compressor pump 11.5CFM @60 PSI, max PSI 175. on an 80 gallon tank. I was thinking it was a 100 gallon tank but no matter, The pump would only pump up to about 75PSI, so that tells me there is a problem in the second stage. The primary compressor, the one I assembled is a FA Curtis Toledo FS80B 3 piston single stage compressor rated to have between 5 and 7.5 Hp motor to be able to deliver its rated 19.5CFM@ 90PSI 17CFM@ 125PSI. The motor that was on it when I got it is grossly undersized, it being only a Leeson 2 HP 186 frame SF 1.15 1725RPM , with its small pulley diameter it is spinning the compressor at way less than half the suggested RPM and fully 1/3 the max RPM. The delivery is nowhere near the potential of the compressor pump, plus the motor has an amperage draw more in tune with that of a 3 HP motor it doesn't heat up though even running continuously, but I know it needs to be changes out for a larger motor. RIght now I have 2 choices at my disposal without having the buy anything other than possibly belts and maybe pulleys. I have 2 or 3 of the 8hp 1750 RPM 3 ph motors exactly the same as the one I am making an auxiliary Rotary phase converter to parallel in with my existing RPC I could use one of those with no problems excepting having to switch the wiring from the single phase panel to the 3 ph panel or I have a pair of 5.5HP spl duty 3450 RPM compressor motors I could mount both of them and via a jack shaft to get the RPMS down where I want them. The reason why I would mount both motors is because I consider the SPL duty compressor motors to be a peak rated hp like they rate shop vac motors, when in actuality their true HP should be listed a little more than half that if they were honest in the rating. so 2 5.5 spl hp motors in my opinion would be closer to 6 hp, or right between the 5 to 7.5 recommended HP of the Curtis compressor, I can replace the 2 stage Sanborn pump on the Black Max compressor for about $250.00 or about twice what it could cost me to rebuild the one I have if there is not a lot wrong with it other than a bad piston & rings or the head and Reed valves. I figure it will be better to have a new compressor pump than to worry if the one I have is even rebuildable.

Thanks
    you sound like you have it covered. as long as both motors have a hard hit at the same time to get the compressior going. Ive seen people thing that they could run the belt's loose so it would slip on start up and be easyer on the motor..that kills motors as the compressior wont get up to speed fast enough and the start windings....well the motor craps out.I tried to explain it to a friend who had put 3 motors on his...he could not understand and didnt beleave me, then on the 4th motor I took him over to his lawn mower and told him to start it, he grabed the rope and snatched it, it started. I then told him to not snach the rope but to pull it slower&even....he could not pull the rope...he then realized that his loose belts were what was killing the expensive motors. that 4 motor has been on there for over 10 years now. sometimes our thinkin gets the best of us..and our wallet too. I realized all this when dad gave me a 15 gallon tank small unit the belts were loose and the motor was grunting&growing and had burnt off the plug of the cord. I put a new plug on it and it grunted and could barley turn the compressor and motor not up to speed, so I thought abouit the lawn mower and tightened the belts...kazoom!!!! perfrct every time.that was 30 years ago.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    you sound like you have it covered. as long as both motors have a hard hit at the same time to get the compressior going. Ive seen people thing that they could run the belt's loose so it would slip on start up and be easyer on the motor..that kills motors as the compressior wont get up to speed fast enough and the start windings....well the motor craps out.I tried to explain it to a friend who had put 3 motors on his...he could not understand and didnt beleave me, then on the 4th motor I took him over to his lawn mower and told him to start it, he grabed the rope and snatched it, it started. I then told him to not snach the rope but to pull it slower&even....he could not pull the rope...he then realized that his loose belts were what was killing the expensive motors. that 4 motor has been on there for over 10 years now. sometimes our thinkin gets the best of us..and our wallet too. I realized all this when dad gave me a 15 gallon tank small unit the belts were loose and the motor was grunting&growing and had burnt off the plug of the cord. I put a new plug on it and it grunted and could barley turn the compressor and motor not up to speed, so I thought abouit the lawn mower and tightened the belts...kazoom!!!! perfrct every time.that was 30 years ago.
    Another thing I've seen is guys not knowing why there needs to be an unloader valve on the compressor so the motor is not having to overcome 60 to 80 PSI at start up

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Apr 12, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks
    yup!!! I got one of those pankake units from a neibor( free) that had been bypased....for some stupid reason,possiably broken.the cord was about melted.I found another unloader & cord one off sometehen else ( out of a box of ****) and put it on there, runs great. I have zero use for the dam noisey thing but it dont take up much space so I reckon it can stay.( I have 2 6.5 hp,60 gallon units,1 in my shop, one in my home, shop is 6 steps out my bedroom door.)I ordered one cambels soupshorsefield, waited 3 months, then sent email...2 days lator it arived.2 days lator it arived....2 years lator I get a email saying thier records show I received 2 of them.they need one back, I replied yes I did,one is still in the crate in my airconditioned home with a storage bill on it. 2 days later I get another email saying keep it. that was 25 years ago. the one in the house gets verry little usage. but was dam handy with my remodel of the house and airing up play toys. no not that kind of play toy. more like blow up monkeys& palm trees,6' godzilla,beach balls etc. and for air tools if I happen to be worken on the wifes car in my other garage on the side of the house. funny thing, bought a new air nailer(for framing) and never used it...I used screws for my last construction project 11'x16' 2 story barn style airconditioned storage& work room...now filled with new parts for the crashed car I bought last summer #243 of 1266 made. I seem to be using screws for everything these days.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by marksbug; Apr 12, 2022 at 04:36 PM.

Thread Information