Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Media blasting booth

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Media blasting booth

I saved this from being cut up at a scrap yard no idea what I was going to do with it except that it has 2000lbs of good straight 3/16" plate even though I had to pay 50cents a pound for it and haul it 200 miles I still felt I would come out ahead in the long run,
    However I decided that what I really should do with it is to turn it into a media blasting booth it is 10 feet long 5 feet deep and about 5 feet high inside has a vent in th3e top and an open trough in the front. I will be able to use it either with dry media or wet and still recover a huge percentage for re use. I have a tarp that I will clip over the opening with magnets while blasting that way I should be able to contain air borne dust as well
    Media blasting booth-img_20220403_170327sbc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 5, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 10, 2022), sossol (Apr 4, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Should speed up a lot of work.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well several things about having booth makes the whole purchase of the what was destined to be scrap worth while to me at least. #1 I won't have to place stuff on work horses or blast the parts on the ground, #2 a booth like this encloses 5 of the 6 sides to a box a tarp will take care of most of the remaining side. #3 the sloping bottom is perfect for allowing the media to fall into the containment trough which is over 12 inches wide 10 feet long and 18" deep. the blast media just needs to be scooped up sifted through a qualifying filter and returned to storage for use again. Since I will be using either Black beauty or Black Diamond blast media there is no silica dust there is of course still ne need to wear a quality respirator, that goes without saying, anyone who doesn't is either foolish or doesn't know any better.
    #4 I can stack several parts behind the one I am blasting to receive sympathy blasting as I call it, just like when you have a pain in one part of your body other areas appear to share that pain. While blasting 1 part the rest of the parts receive bombardment of the high velocity media which actually will serve to pre-blast in some cases, saving more time when you get to those parts.
    I have a serviceable 60 gallon vertical air tank that I plan on building a much larger sand blaster out of. When I do I will probably buy a 3/4" blast hose and blast gun to use on it. Before I can do that though I need to install a much larger motor on my air compressor as the motor on it now has a small pulley and can only turn the compressor at about 1/3 to 1/2 its designed output, Probably going to require about an 8 to 10 HP motor to fully power the compressor properly, plus I want to parallel my second 100 gallon 6 hp high recovery compressor onto my system. I will also add a large blast media silo above the larger blast unit for refilling.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Media Blasting Booth to our Media Blasting category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Improvised DIY's Avatar
    Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    I have the exact same sandblast pot. The hoses and ball valves don't last.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Improvised DIY View Post
    I have the exact same sandblast pot. The hoses and ball valves don't last.
    When I bought the thing about 8 or 9 years ago I considered those items to be part of the consumable parts as well.

Thanks
    **** that booth aint big enough to get but 4 or 5 useless meida fake news anchor's in there to blast all to hell.and then you have to clean it up reall good or you aint getten no more in there to blast. you need to make it a lot biger and hinge the flor and add a funnel so you can put it over a man hole cover for quick disposing of the fodder left over. hmm whatcha gonna use for bait?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 5, 2022), Frank S (Apr 4, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    If you have you'll use it. I like the thought of having a permanent installation ready to go and the lack of mess to clean up. I have picked up a large old LPG tank and have been looking at designs. The 'Dustless Blasting' design I like the most as it is not likely to clog, also proven to work well in removing powder coat.
    www.dustlessblasting.com

Thanks
    HMM, build it on a small trailer, with a fold up wall so it's sealed good.add a ac unit squirel cage fan to suck out the top with some cleanable filters and baffels,along with some vents around the lower half and 2 led shop lights inside.so you can close it up if needed and blast your ass off( with resprator&protection of corse) and yes some more thinken.let the wall down when it's ok to blast that way.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    **** that booth aint big enough to get but 4 or 5 useless meida fake news anchor's in there to blast all to hell.and then you have to clean it up reall good or you aint getten no more in there to blast. you need to make it a lot biger and hinge the flor and add a funnel so you can put it over a man hole cover for quick disposing of the fodder left over. hmm whatcha gonna use for bait?
    That's easy Just let it be know that you are thinking of running for public office, no matter which party affiliation you choose htey will either flock to you to fawn all over you or flock to you to try and cut you down every way they can. Or what I would do is to tell them I had created a brand new ultra green wizzmo gizzmo and I wanted to demonstrate it. They would all climb in just to see what it was all about then I'd hose them down with 600 lbs of coal slag

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Apr 5, 2022), piper184 (Apr 5, 2022)

Thread Information