Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Method for clocking rectangular or square in a four jaw to a known reference point

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Method for clocking rectangular or square in a four jaw to a known reference point

Hi All

Method for clocking a four jaw to a known reference point or datum. I use this technique for clocking rectangular or square stock in the four-jaw chuck. It is extremely accurate and it saves messing with toolmakers buttons, per drilling or any other means and less accurate ways such as clocking over the corners of the stock.

I mainly use it for getting square bar concentric, but yesterday it dawned on me I could take it one-step further and locate a known datum or reference point on the work piece.

It does not show it on the video but after machining the hole and counter-bore, I check the component for accuracy and it was within 0.001” in both directions.

I hope you find it a useful video and thank you for taking the time to view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Feb 3, 2020), Frank S (Jan 29, 2018), rossbotics (Jan 30, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 29, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Square and Rectangular Stock Clocking Method to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks, I am just starting to use a four jaw chuck so this really helps.

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi All

Method for clocking a four jaw to a known reference point or datum. I use this technique for clocking rectangular or square stock in the four-jaw chuck. It is extremely accurate and it saves messing with toolmakers buttons, per drilling or any other means and less accurate ways such as clocking over the corners of the stock.

I mainly use it for getting square bar concentric, but yesterday it dawned on me I could take it one-step further and locate a known datum or reference point on the work piece.

It does not show it on the video but after machining the hole and counter-bore, I check the component for accuracy and it was within 0.001” in both directions.
    Since you've already done the measured layout of the point to be centered on the stock, why, in effect, reproduce that measurement procedure with the stock mounted on the lathe?

Wouldn't it be simpler to use a pump center in the marked out dimple and adjust the chuck using that?

For reference, the procedure for doing so is outlined here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...aw-chuck-27241
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Marv
    Thank you for your interest. The lines are for reference and I could have done it the way you suggested. As you can appreciate, there is more than one to skin a cat.
    I thought about doing the job firstly on the mill hence the spot drilling on the faces. There was an issue with that. As it had a flat bottom counter bore and I wanted a tight fit on the mating part I decided, it would be a lot easier to machine in the lathe.
    Normally I use this method to centre square bar in the four-jaw chuck, so it is perfectly concentric to each stock face This method is so accurate every time so I used it for this operation and it came out spot on.
    Thank you again and I hope I have answered your question
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information