Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Most of the Lower 48 (and almost all of Mexico) are closer to some part of Texas than the farthest points in Texas are from each other:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...itself/360433/ I can attest to this, driving across Texas in a U-Haul that's pretty much limited to 55 MPH is a "You have died of dysentery" 'Oregon Trail' kind of experience. :-)

(I'll add there were two cats in the cab along with me and my wife....two cats that were not happy with us all the way. And we were towing the car on a dolly so we couldn't back up. Every place we entered had to be reconnoitered on foot to ensure we could get out...)
    Yep but remember Texas used to occupy most of New Mexico much of Colorado part of Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming making it 1/3 larger than it is now

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper Ken View Post
    Heck man - Australia's biggest cattle station (ranch in your speak) is 5,850,000 acres.
    How many Rhode Islands is that ??
    Easy! Sort of...just substitute known square miles for percentage thereof at https://rigea.org/2013/05/11/how-many-rhode-islands/
    No need to thank me, we all hand out rabbit holes like they do in Rhode Island...

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Now the fires in California are the size of Delaware...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Now the fires in California are the size of Delaware...
    nature's brush removal
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I like this one. Conceptually similar to the small/big refrigerator measurement, but not a meme, a real example. Original tweet from the San Miguel Sheriff twitter account is here: https://twitter.com/sheriffalert/sta...81862244749315

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 29, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

BTU/ kWh, grams/ mile & kiloyards? US Customary Units Revisited. -For the love of ..!

Hybrid units (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric...s#Hybrid_units):

"Some measurements are reported in units derived from both customary and metric units.
    For example:

Heat rate from a power plant: BTU/kWh.
    Federal automobile exhaust emission standards: grams per mile.
    Caffeine in beverages: milligrams per (fluid) ounce.
    A standard method for sizing tires combines millimeters for overall width and inches for the rim diameter on which they fit.
    In lighting, light bulbs use eighths of an inch for bulb diameter and full inches for fluorescent tube lengths,
    while the socket is always in millimeters (for example, the standard "medium Edison screw" is E24).

On recently introduced Christmas lights, however, millimeters are often used with small globe-shaped bulbs (G30 and G40),
    and with miniature LED sets, where the standard T1¾ (​7⁄32-inch tube) ones are sometimes called M5 (5 mm miniature; not to be confused with M5 thread).
    One among many examples is in Table 8, chapter 9, of the National Electrical Code Handbook (8th ed.),
    where resistance of conductors per unit length is given in ohms per thousand feet.

Other units are based on customary units, but use power-of-ten factors and metric prefixes.
    For example, distance to target for a U.S. submarine is expressed in kiloyards (kyd) rather than some combination of miles, yards, and feet.
    Telephone transmission line length and loop distances are measured in kilofeet.
    In some fields of civil engineering (especially structural engineering), and architecture, large loads and forces
    (such as the weight of a building or the amount of load applied to a column) are measured in kips
    (kilopounds or 1000 pounds-force - NOT kiloinches/ sec!)

instead of short tons-force (2000 pounds-force), which are used in virtually all other non-metric industries in the United States
    as well as in common usage among the public, when dealing with large values of force."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

FEM2008 (Sep 3, 2020), MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020), Philip Davies (Aug 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 29, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I like this one. [snipped] Original tweet from the San Miguel Sheriff twitter account is here: https://twitter.com/sheriffalert/sta...81862244749315
    East bound lane huh? Clearly even granite knows it's time to beat the exodus from Kalifornia.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    All I want to know is if it bigger than a bread box...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    There are some die hards in the UK who will not relinquish the good old imperial measurements, a pint of milk, a pint of beer, spirits measured in 1/8 gill and a distance of miles at of speed at mph. But be warned don’t try selling a pound of bananas in Newcastle/Sunderland the local authorities will hound you to death
    (Actual case) BBC NEWS | UK | England | Wear | Metric martyr market trader dies.
    I’m not a conspiracy theorist - but he suddenly died ? - The lengths countries leaders will go to. You would think we lived in Russia, just saying - no racial implication intended.

What are you guys in the wild west going to do when kids are banned from having cap guns and computer games because they are linked to slavery and racial hatred. They are either shooting pimps and hookers, Germans, zombies, Red Indians and cow boys or calories in the case of candy crush. What is this world coming to? A mega don.

For F's sake stop this pointless debate keep the inch, stand up like a man and don’t let this Europhile cack eat America as well.
    you know what happened in the 60s when a space craft crashed due to a mix up in measurements, everyone was fine using both until someone tried to convert everyone - Strange that very shortly after they put a man on the moon - again just saying (light the blue touch paper).

Just remember that the collection of European nations is the Euronation - I’m thinking they are taking the urine.

We have always been different from each other, if you used a measurement system to build house in the US compared to Africa the measurements would be miles apart literally. Spelt differently for a start - we have managed for millennia to build things in different scale and sell them to each other, what is this ambition of some in the US to go metric (Europhiles). A measurement that is no longer socially acceptable is the use of chains, don’t start that again. Or Bushels, **** the Me2 movement will think you are talking of under their dresses.

These are strange times my friends.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 30, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    I’m not a conspiracy theorist - but
    Thanks for clarifications, and also for the link on the "Metric Martyrs": Truly amazing reading IMHO.
    Seems like the advocacy group dissolved 2017, after the Brexit Vote?
    WayBack Machine with its Thorburn tributes:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071224...age.aspx?id=36

I don't consider myself being a conspiracy theorist either, but:
    -Could we perhaps after the upcoming New Year assume yet another Iron Curtain being descended across the Continent,
    but this time from Unst in the North Sea to Jersey in the English Channel, and around Gibraltar?

Test for UK citizens on what actions to take regarding the new rules: https://www.gov.uk/transition

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 30, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 30, 2020)

Thread Information