Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miami condo collapse - GIF

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    I did not realize it was that much of a building that collapsed

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Seems like lots of people dropped the ball on this building.

"According to a Florida International University professor who co-authored a study focused on the issue last year, the complex had been sinking into the earth bit by bit since the 1990s, at one point at a rate of about 2 millimeters per year." (https://www.thedailybeast.com/ill-fa...-something-off)

2020-1990 = 30years. 30years x 2mm = 60mm. I realize that it may not have sunk at an even rate, but even 30mm of settling surely seems like a LOT.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

GKK (Jun 26, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    According to a report I read, this building was built on the grounds of a different condo building that also spontaneously collapsed. Irony or foreshadowing?

Neil

Thanks
    well my computer says domestic terrorism.... either way it's a bad deal. too bad all the FL miami/dade huricane code **** didnt help....tsom timg wong. I wonder how the camera operator got a head up about it fixing to happen,,,and yet the people that lived there didnt.......HMMM

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    It could be my imagination, but if you look at the pool in the fore ground, and and note the image that is framed by the camera. Soon after the building falls, the camera shakes, moving the frame around, perhaps due to the ground shaking from the collapse. The lights shining in the pool also appear to move as the water in the pool responds to the movement.

Tragic for certain. It is unconscionable that people knew about the structural defects and did not make more of an issue about it. If in fact they did, and the information was not acted on, that is even worse.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jun 27, 2021 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    It is a problem that the building certifying authorities and government standards have not being followed in the first place.
    The government has dropped the ball it is a problem world wide, see this https://www.google.com/search?client...h+rise+defects

Thanks
    the main issue in this part of fl is the totaly clueless bribe taking inspectors we have hear. I cought the head if the inspection dept and 2 inspectors in a bribe scheem. they told me I no longer needed to get any more permits...for ever.

Thanks
    I saw a report that in order to get their 40 year recertification that some $15 million would have to be spent to fix an apparent leak between the pool deck and the main structure causing concrete in the structure to deteriorate.

Engineer Frank Morabito said a "main issue" was poor drainage of a pool deck that sat atop a parking garage at the site.

"Failure to replace waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially," the report said.

According to the Washington Post, Morabito told the condo association that the work would cost $15 million — and that the association did not respond for 18 months.

The first phase of the work, consisting of roof repairs, had already begun when large parts of the building collapsed around 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    By all means....lets start on the roof, it will cost too much to repair the failing foundation.

Thread Information