Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Micro annular cutter - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,877 Times in 11,345 Posts

Micro annular cutter - video

Micro annular cutter. By Stefan Gotteswinter. 42:15 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

albertq (Mar 9, 2024), nova_robotics (Mar 15, 2023), Scotty1 (Mar 15, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Mar 15, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Made a set of tuning pegs that very same way, in brass, a bit larger peg. 400 fit in a disappointing small box of 3+ days work.
    Best way to observe heat color transitions is lowering the level of light intensity. Tempering reveals better when the surface is polished, and not intense lighting.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 15, 2023 at 08:33 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Made a set of tuning pegs that very same way, in brass, a bit larger peg. 400 fit in a disappointing small box of 3+ days work.
    Best way to observe heat color transitions is lowering the level of light intensity. Tempering reveals better when the surface is polished, and not intense lighting.

this is not something I have experience with, just yet, but I've read that cutting plastics and softer metals, like brass, you want a less acute angle on your cutter. "Dubbing" is what they call it when you do it to a drill, IIRC. Can you confirm or deny?

On the subject of tempering, early 1903 Springfield rifle actions were tempered by eye, and there was a potential problem with them shattering due to inconsistent tempering due to changes in the lighting in the armory from day to day and with varying weather. The very first Springfield I ever owned was one of those. Not that there were many that did shatter, but it's, shall we say disconcerting?, to have that happen when the thing is held near your face... Mine wound up as a wall-hanger on my dad's wall, and I eventually got another that wasn't in the early serial number range. The armory folks got pyrometers for their tempering ovens so they could avoid the problem. This is mentioned in Hatcher's Notebook, if anyone else is interested.

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Mar 16, 2023 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    this is not something I have experience with, just yet, but I've read that cutting plastics and softer metals, like brass, you want a less acute angle on your cutter. "Dubbing" is what they call it when you do it to a drill, IIRC. Can you confirm or deny?

On the subject of tempering, early 1903 Springfield rifle actions were tempered by eye, and there was a potential problem with them shattering due to inconsistent tempering due to changes in the lighting in the armory from day to day and with varying weather. The very first Springfield I ever owned was one of those. Not that there were many that did shatter, but it's, shall we say disconcerting?, to have that happen when the thing is held near your face... Mine wound up as a wall-hanger on my dad's wall, and I eventually got another that wasn't in the early serial number range. The armory folks got pyrometers for their tempering ovens so they could avoid the problem. This is mentioned in Hatcher's Notebook, if anyone else is interested.

Bill
    All of it, interested in all of it. I channeled up the Maj. Gen'l just days ago in a discussion (one side ranting) regarding flat earth phenomena. Orrery's, ballistics, space flight, navigation, plain old physics, astronomy, sunrise & set, the works.
    Typically, the only evidence they produce are photo's; minus working knowledge regarding optics.
    Good times.

I participated in Pacific Fleet Matches at Camp Pendleton. Garands, M1-A, AR patterns abound. A few 1903 A3, but not in 1000 yard matches vs other service rifles, too advantageous. There's never been a superior bolt action service rifle. It's thought of, in comparison to the Mauser (ideal hunting rifle), Enfield (ideal battle rifle) the ideal target rifle. Tough combination when majority of troops were trained as riflemen/ marksmen, not hunters or just infantry. Much of it hangs on the original sighting, evolved from the tangent style of the Krag.
    A 1/2'' (minute) small aperture on a Garand isn't so bad either. My Garand remains as issued, MI-A wears NM, installed by none other than armorers from NSWC-Crane. They travel in a mobile armorers lab. Now, that would be a job!

Yeah.
    All of it, interested in all of it.

Oh BTW, not aware of a term applied to removing a bit of drill helix, instead one or another description of the process, something parallel to "just stone the lips". That business with brass occurred lots. I'd usually get a pilot through, and step the final bit with the depth stop or knee. The real problem lies in lash of rack and pinion quills, far less when screw or gear train fed.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 17, 2023 at 12:47 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've heard several old timers refer to "dubbing" drills. This reference...

https://www.ctemag.com/sites/www.cte...8-Geometry.pdf

at the bottom of the second page has this quote...

Another feature that can be ground
    on a drill is a dub. Dubbing is the act of
    placing a flat grind across the flute faces
    from the outermost diameter to the
    chisel edge. This alters the rake angle of
    the tool to 0° or just slightly positive.
    Dubbing strengthens the cutting edge
    but increases the plowing effect. A dub
    can be useful in materials that tend to
    “grab” the drill or when additional
    strength is needed to prevent chipping.

I've also heard the process of touching the shoulders of a kneeling person with a sword in order to confer a knighthood referred to as "dubbing".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 17, 2023)

Thread Information