Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement

The adjusting method for lining up the tailstock to the spindle center is quite the knock around and
    hit or miss type of adjustment. It always seems to change when the clamp bolts are tightened.
    I added a push only adjustment block to the back of the tailstock. Now I can keep the bolts more
    than just snug and move the tailstock with the screws instead of tapping it. Works a lot better than
    the bump method. Just sneak up on the final setting with the clamping bolts fairly snug.

Something I added previously is that 5" cast steel handle. It has enough weight to continue moving
    the quill after a good "push". Couple of pushes and she is home. Reduces the cranking on my arm!

There is also a "stop" bolt to prevent the tailstock locking handle from over rotating. It just keeps
    it from opening too far. Rubber grommets cushion it when contacting the stop bolt.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1471b-copy.jpg   Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1472b-copy.jpg   Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1473b-copy.jpg   Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1474b-copy.jpg   Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1475b-copy.jpg  

Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1476b-copy.jpg   Mini Lathe Tailstock Improvement-img_1477b-copy.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 24, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 19, 2018), PJs (Jan 19, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 19, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Lathe Tailstock Modifications to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 20, 2018)

Thread Information