Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools

Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank

For this project, I was inspired by a recently featured video:

Harbor Freight mini mill improvements - video

The crank is at about 2:44

So, I designed and built a similar crank handle for my mini-mill fine downfeed knob. In the video, the clamp screw appears to bear on the knob itself. I preferred a moving jaw to avoid possible damage to the stock mini-mill knob.

I made the crank arm a little bit longer for better leverage and finer control.

Also, my crank is close to balanced. (If a crank has a "heavy end", that end may tend to rotate downward if not being held. Balancing reduces the likelihood that the crank will move on its own. This was only a minor design criterion.)

The moving jaw guide pins were made from 3/16" drill rod. The pins were pressed into the jaw and a close slip fit was machined into the piece holding the clamping screw. All pieces (except the hardware and the pins) were made from aluminum.

The knob on the mini mill is almost exactly 2" diameter. I cut the curve for the jaws using a boring head on my mill. (Ironically, I could really have used this crank during this operation.)

I turned the crank handle from aluminum rod on my mini-lathe.

The jaw clamp screw is metric M5-0.8 so that the hex keys I commonly use for the mill can be used to install the crank. All other fasteners are imperial #10-24.

(I did clean up some of the extrusion marks after the pictures were taken.)

Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162327.jpg Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162519.jpg

Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162618.jpg Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162631.jpg

Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162759.jpg Mini-Mill Fine Downfeed Crank-20220403_162902.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Apr 6, 2022), Home-PC (Apr 5, 2022), Jon (Apr 4, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 5, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks dgbreggin! We've added your Mini Mill Downfeed Crank to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: dgbreggin's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Guy Marsden's Tools
    I think that was my video that you saw. Nice job!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Marsden View Post
    I think that was my video that you saw. Nice job!
    Thank you very much.

I do believe it was your video. Nice job on all those mods, BTW.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    For this project, I was inspired by a recently featured video:
    One of the great things about www.homemadetools.net is that ideas, new or old, lead to INSPIRATION. This is why i spend way too much time on this forum, i'm inspired so much I can't get anything done. haha

As for your crank wonderful implementation. The parts look to be finely crafted and do not look out of place on the mill.

As for boring operations there is nothing like a hands free feed method. On mini mills that often means an electric drive of some sort.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    One of the great things about www.homemadetools.net is that ideas, new or old, lead to INSPIRATION. This is why i spend way too much time on this forum, i'm inspired so much I can't get anything done. haha

As for your crank wonderful implementation. The parts look to be finely crafted and do not look out of place on the mill.

As for boring operations there is nothing like a hands free feed method. On mini mills that often means an electric drive of some sort.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Stay tuned for an upcoming post about a power downfeed for my mini mill.

(Seriously... I do have power feed on all of the other aspects of the mini mill, including the rotary table. Also all aspects of my mini lathe. Several future posts.)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information