Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Miniature drill bit sharpener

Thanks

the.hogman's Tools

Miniature drill bit sharpener

As found throughout the web, this is a small hand sharpener for small drill bits. It utilizes a small pin vise to grip the drill bit. This pin vise is mounted (can be rotated to align flutes) in a small piece of angle iron. The amount of drill bit sticking out will dictate the angle to be honed on the the point of the bit. Longer sticking out, sharper the point. This is then lightly moved over the two sided oil stone resting in the base. The angle iron jig slides smoothly on the plexiglass while the bit rests on the stone. Light strokes, and only a few of them, will sharpen and save almost any small drill bit. I am usually working with as small as 1.15mm in some of my manufacturing.
    Miniature drill bit sharpener-img_1624.jpg
    Miniature drill bit sharpener-img_1671.jpgMiniature drill bit sharpener-img_1667.jpgMiniature drill bit sharpener-img_1668.jpgMiniature drill bit sharpener-img_1669.jpgMiniature drill bit sharpener-img_1670.jpg
    Now that I got some detailed pics up, let me explain.
    Small piece of angle iron with a small hole bored exactly through the middle of the angle. The small pin vise fits in the hole very closely. On the outside of the angle and over this hole, I welded a small slug for the pin vise to go into as well. As you can see, there is a small screw in the slug that will lock the pin vise in any orientation. This is used to align the drill bit flutes prior to drawing the jig across a sharpening stone. The bit tip angle is determined by the amount of the bit allowed to stick out. More out, sharper the point, not necessarily a good thing for small bits.
    Please drop me a note if you need more details.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by the.hogman; Feb 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add detail pics
    Manufacturer of Kat Eyz Banjo and Guitar Capos. Handmade and customized personally by me right here in the central part of the USA.

www.kateyzcapos.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the.hogman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 19, 2016), kbalch (Jan 19, 2016), PJs (Jan 20, 2016), thoms_here (Nov 21, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks the.hogman! We've added your Drill Bit Sharpener to our Sharpening category, as well as to your builder page: the.hogman's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

penca's Tools
    hi hogman. you say in your manufacturing you use very small drill sizes, is this the best method you have found for sharpening them?, i will get some jobs that require very small holes to be made (many) with precision in stainless so many dull bits are expected... this would be a nice jig to get ready. can you post any more pics of the jig? if you don`t mind me copying it.
    thanks
    pete

5. The Following User Says Thank You to penca For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 21, 2016)

Thanks

the.hogman's Tools
    I will get a bunch of detailed shots up tonight. This tool saved me from buying huge quantities of miniature bits. When they get dull or break, flatten them off and then resharpen on the jig. I can now get a hundred-plus holes from a bit before it becomes too short to effectively sharpen and use.
    Manufacturer of Kat Eyz Banjo and Guitar Capos. Handmade and customized personally by me right here in the central part of the USA.

www.kateyzcapos.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the.hogman For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 21, 2016)

Thanks

penca's Tools
    cool man, thanks! i`ll be waiting to see these pics

Thanks

the.hogman's Tools
    Argh! So sorry everyone. I've been in Chicago last few days and not in shop. Hope to have more pics and description of use later this week.

www.kateyzcapos.com

Thanks

the.hogman's Tools
    See the edits I made to the first post, more detailed pics and an explanation of the build and use.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

www.kateyzcapos.com

Thread Information