Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Minimalist Dot Peen Marking

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Elaborate designs are easy. Minimalist designs can be very hard. It has taken me over 10 years
    to arrive at my minimalist electronic edge finder.

Mark Twain said “I didn’t have time to write you a short letter so
    wrote you a long one.”
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 11, 2022), rgsparber (Jun 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Outstanding quote!

I’ve saved that one.

Thanks,

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    If the user has a 3D printer, why not just print the entire tag?

Rick
    Same could be said if one has a label printer(probably more people with 3D printers than label-printers), why not just stick on the label and give it a clear-coat to seal it and give it some durability.

The disadvantage of a 3D print over marking the actual metal is less wear durability and having to glue it on, would also need to use paint to give it better contrast to make it legible so more work. A 3D printed punch template is basically the same as your approach with a bit more control/ease of use(getting tired towards the end having detrimental results on concentration and the result is less of an issue..) and flexibility..
    Last edited by MasterMaker; Jun 12, 2022 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterMaker View Post
    Same could be said if one has a label printer(probably more people with 3D printers than label-printers), why not just stick on the label and give it a clear-coat to seal it and give it some durability.

The disadvantage of a 3D print over marking the actual metal is less wear durability and having to glue it on, would also need to use paint to give it better contrast to make it legible so more work. A 3D printed punch template is basically the same as your approach with a bit more control/ease of use(getting tired towards the end having detrimental results on concentration and the result is less of an issue..) and flexibility..
    I agree that label makers are rare but one could print onto plain paper and use some glue or double-sided tape. I often use Elmer's purple glue sticks which are washable.

I do see value in making a template when the characters will be stamped more than once. 3D printing this template would have its challenges. If the dimensions were not right, the punch would hit the plastic. If this plastic was soft, that would be fine. If hard, it would tend to crack.

Inspired by your idea, I took a piece of aluminum shim stock and make a punch through it with my marking punch with a bit of pine backing it up. This created a bump on the backside. A second punch broke through. Then I put it on my belt sander to remove most of the burr. The result was a proof of concept for a template. I then printed a label with a single letter which I stuck on the aluminum. After hitting each dot twice with the punch and sanding off the burrs, I have a template for this letter.

I plan to make another template with my initials for quick and accurate marking. When I write this up, I'll be sure to give you credit.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information