Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mobile Base For Heavy Industrial Jointer | How To Move Heavy Machine From Pallet

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Mobile Base For Heavy Industrial Jointer | How To Move Heavy Machine From Pallet

This video shows how to make the mobile base with caster wheels for the heavy industrial jointer or any other heavy machinery.

You can also enjoy watching me trying to figure out how to move the super heavy machine from the pallet to the mobile base "single handed" without using a car jack or hoist lift or winge or any special equipment.

The 12 inch industrial jointer is 460 kg = 1014 lbs, which is very heavy as you can imagine. When it was delivered, 4 strong men were not able to move it from the lorry to the ground, and they had to bring another tail lift equipped vehicle. So I had a puzzle in my head how to go about moving this beast to the mobile base, not to mention ALONE!

The industrial grade heavy duty jointers can be found at:
    https://tigertoolspro.com/

The heavy duty caster wheels rated for 1100 lbs per wheel = 4400 lbs total can be found here: https://amzn.to/3aoG1Wa

The welding magnets: https://amzn.to/3r4Lacv

Welding rods E6013: https://amzn.to/3cpHQ7H

For the mobile base I used 1/4 inch thick 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch steel angle. I cut the 4 pieces using coping / not miter, to make the total welding joint longer, thus making the base stronger. After all it has to constantly carry 460 kg = 1014 lbs.

I then welded 4 caster wheels plates underneath the coping joints to further strengthen them. I used E6013 welding rod and 75 A DC current, using small inverter IGBT technology welding machine: https://amzn.to/3cry318
    This welding machine is very powerful despite being so small, it can go up to 200 A.

I primed the mobile base with the anti rust oil based paint. Then I additionally painted it with another anti rust finish layer oil based paint. I tested the mobile base level on my fabrication table, which I will show in another video.Initially I planned to use Toyota 4x4 car jack to lift the machine but I changed the plan and used steel angles as support and hardwood boards as lever. It surprisingly worked very well. I managed to raise the machine on the concrete blocks and steel angles. I slid out the pallet from underneath the jointer, and then aligned the mobile base to the machine walls and locked the casters in place. I then raised the machine, removed the steel angles, and lowered the machine using wooden board lever.

The jointer fits perfectly in the mobile base, the sides don't even have space for the playing card between the jointer walls and the mobile base frame.I made the mobile base slightly longer than the jointer base, so that it could be lowered into the frame at an angle, as I knew I wouldn't be using a hoist lift or forklift or some other equipment.

The final result is very satisfactory, and I personally learned a lot from this challenge.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Jan 31, 2021 at 10:55 AM.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 3, 2021)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I like moving large and heavy things alone. Good job...

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Jan 30, 2021)

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    cheers man! I approached it with another plan, I thought I would rather use the 4x4 car jack, but the plain board leverage worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    I like moving large and heavy things alone. Good job...
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Industrial Jointer Mobile Base to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Feb 1, 2021)

Thread Information