Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Painted Parts Drying Rack

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Mobile Painted Parts Drying Rack

One thing that's been bugging me for a long time is where to hang parts up to dry, whether it be car parts or gizmo's I've created. Up until now, I've used anything I could find like drawer handles, bench vises, air line piping, edges of tables and anything! When this idea popped in my head, I had to pursue it.

For stability, I started with a brake drum base. Because I wanted to use this both inside and out, wheels were a must. This can be used to hang parts to dry or take it outside and paint the parts right on it. I even put a handle on it so just tip it back and roll it to where you want it. I also wanted the ability to fold it up when not in use to maximize space. No tools needed to go from storage to full use.

It goes up to 78 inches at full height so should cover just about anything. I've made some special hooks as shown but there are many other versions as time goes on that I will make. I think something like an ammo box at the base might be used to store them.

I can see this as a build in progress as it can be improved as needed and I already have some more ideas. Happy with it so far though.

Mobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-400.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-408.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-407.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-406.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-405.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-404.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-403.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-402.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-401.jpgMobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-409.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

bimmer1980 (Mar 6, 2020), CheezyRiderAZ (Mar 8, 2020), Jon (Feb 12, 2020), thehomeengineer (Feb 12, 2020), Tuomas (Mar 3, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Mobile Parts Drying Rack to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 13, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Feb 10, 2020), rlm98253 (Feb 10, 2020)

Thanks
    Great idea nicely fabricated.

Name:  Bandaged Thums Up SMALL.png
Views: 607
Size:  7.3 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mobile Painted Parts Drying Rack-bandaged-thums-up.png  
    Last edited by rlm98253; Feb 10, 2020 at 07:39 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rlm98253 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 11, 2020)

Thanks
    Humm...don't know why the double thumbs up happened.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I really like this item. Great design and perfect to store. The only problem I can see with it is finding time to make one. (But I will over the next few weeks)
    Thank you for the great post
    The Home Engineer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 12, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I just use a length of single jack chain suspended from cup hooks across a corner of the shop. Smaller hooks hang off the chain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caliper Ken For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 12, 2020)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    That would work too! lol

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    But not as nice looking.

I always work on the principle. If you are going to make a tool or an item would you be prepared to go into a shop and buy it yourself and would others be interested and want to buy it? If a tool is made well you tend to look after it as well.

If I walked into a shop and saw your parts drying rack it would certainly grab my attention. The price might put me off so I would probably go home and make one But I very much like the design. The idea of being able to use out side and the mobility and the storage would be so useful to me. The amount of times I have painted a component hung up to dry, only to then want to get to where all the wet bits are hanging. Or they are at head height and I end up forgetting and knocking them off with my head.

You have got my vote for tool of the week
    The Home Engineer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 12, 2020)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Thank you for the kind words. I know it will be heavily used here but certainly wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I'm always painting something and it will be nice not to have things hanging all over my garage this time! lol Also nice to be able to leave the parts hanging outside if the weather is nice.

Space is at a premium these days so I try to make everything either compact or designed so it can fold up easily.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Feb 12, 2020), thehomeengineer (Feb 12, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    This is more than a parts drying solution in my mind. It is a great solution for painting the parts to dry! Yeah it might end up looking ugly over time but a purpose built device beasts adhoc solutions.

These days when painting outside I often drive stakes and not the round to support stuff. Not exactly the most elegant solution but it does work. This approach however solves the parts hanging issue nicely. I could even see larger pieces hanging between two such stands.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 12, 2020), rlm98253 (Feb 12, 2020)

Thread Information