Modified rebate plane-4acba5e7-53ad-4a88-b750-a085c8654461.jpegModified rebate plane-85befe3f-dec1-46c0-a1dc-6906654df6b1.jpeg
I watched Paul Sellers on YouTube demonstrating the process of planing lumber, by hand. What lovely planes he has! They all look brand new! Mine look as if they have come out of a skip, well they have in some cases.
I wad especially impressed with the way Mr Sellers used his Record no. 78 as a scrub plane. I have never liked this plane much, it was reduced in price when purchased, it does not cut very well. It’s a long time since I cut rebates by hand, although often I clean up machined ones, but prefer my wooden skew rebates.
However, I have this Woden 78 which has some bits missing. But I did not fancy using it as a scrub without a front tote. This tote is off my Stanley Bailey 4 1/2, the handle was broken when I got it and with the spur missing, was tiring to use, so I made a new one.
I fitted it to the Woden while the whetstone grinder was cutting the curved profile on the blade. It is screwed and epoxied.
But on the whole I think I prefer the scrub iron I’ve got for my Stanley no.4
But thank you, Mr Sellers, if you’re on HMT, for giving me the notion.