Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: More experiments with 3D printed gaskets - TPU

Thanks

theeddies's Tools

More experiments with 3D printed gaskets - TPU

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to theeddies For This Useful Post:

lassab999 (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks
    great info again!!! how high of a temp do other printable media have? even at that temp it kinda depends on just what part of a engine you use it on if thats what you need one for. if my memory (color memery_witch usualy aint so good) your lawn mower had aplastic intake witch is quite a bit cooler witch would be good for this application. print one to go between the plastic inatke and the engine and see how it holds up, remember engine temps are really coolent temps, not the real engine temp. and yours was air cooled. that would be a interesting test over the summer of mowing lawns..of coarse how many times & size of yard will also somewhat affect results. like diamond, lots of pressure , lots of heat for long time...but if a gasket can last a season on a lawn mower with no changes...thats pretty good test. of coarse you could speed up the test like lab diamonds, go out every day and mow 3 neibors lawn with a cool down inbetween 2&3. do that for a month and report back how much weight you have lost...oh report of the gasket too!! you could also clamp that gasket between the aluminum plates and heat with pressure on it on the evenings after the lawns are mowed and your resting. be carfull of how you apply the heat as it will run over and up like it did when it burnt the wires, so be sure to aim it the other way to make sure you are getting a real temp reading not affected by possiably the torch not the aluminum. also this will keep you from cooking your meater. speeking of meeter throw a burger on it when your done( turkey burger of coarse so the lawn mowing dont go to waste.) keep all the great work and info flowing!!!!( be sure to drink pleanty of liquids while mowing to keep you flowing too, ou dont need a neibor wondering how the dead guy on the lawn is)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

theeddies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    great info again!!! how high of a temp do other printable media have? even at that temp it kinda depends on just what part of a engine you use it on if thats what you need one for. if my memory (color memery_witch usualy aint so good) your lawn mower had aplastic intake witch is quite a bit cooler witch would be good for this application. print one to go between the plastic inatke and the engine and see how it holds up, remember engine temps are really coolent temps, not the real engine temp. and yours was air cooled. that would be a interesting test over the summer of mowing lawns..of coarse how many times & size of yard will also somewhat affect results. like diamond, lots of pressure , lots of heat for long time...but if a gasket can last a season on a lawn mower with no changes...thats pretty good test. of coarse you could speed up the test like lab diamonds, go out every day and mow 3 neibors lawn with a cool down inbetween 2&3. do that for a month and report back how much weight you have lost...oh report of the gasket too!! you could also clamp that gasket between the aluminum plates and heat with pressure on it on the evenings after the lawns are mowed and your resting. be carfull of how you apply the heat as it will run over and up like it did when it burnt the wires, so be sure to aim it the other way to make sure you are getting a real temp reading not affected by possiably the torch not the aluminum. also this will keep you from cooking your meater. speeking of meeter throw a burger on it when your done( turkey burger of coarse so the lawn mowing dont go to waste.) keep all the great work and info flowing!!!!( be sure to drink pleanty of liquids while mowing to keep you flowing too, ou dont need a neibor wondering how the dead guy on the lawn is)
    LOL, I will get right on those lawns. I have some other tests in mind. I am going to try anneal some and see if it will change the temp properties and/or hardness. I picked up a durometer to give me some relative hardness measurements. I was also thinking of a jig to put the gaskets under pressure while heating. Doing tests on video is often challenging because I am paying attention to the monitor as well as what I am doing which causes accidents, lol. Also I was trying to keep the torch away from the $500 camera which is the most important thing. I might try between the head and intake, that might be interesting. Best!

Thanks
    sounds like a plan! but...my lawn still needs mowing...

hm another idea,you could probably print intake manifolds with that stuff !!! lots of motor cycles have rubber intakes, replacements arnt always avalible, and for the ones that used aluminum intakes the tpu should b a up grade as the carbs would stay cooler !! you may want to visit a bike shop or bike section online to see if somebody wants to try some, could be a good avenue for a income in your spare time....some cars could use them too !! if you had a scammer to scan a old intake that would be perfect..and a lot faster. I have a friend up in GA that has done some printed vw intakes.but I dont know what he used. keep up the great work!!
    Last edited by marksbug; Apr 17, 2022 at 09:04 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

theeddies (Apr 18, 2022)

Thanks

theeddies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    sounds like a plan! but...my lawn still needs mowing...

hm another idea,you could probably print intake manifolds with that stuff !!! lots of motor cycles have rubber intakes, replacements arnt always avalible, and for the ones that used aluminum intakes the tpu should b a up grade as the carbs would stay cooler !! you may want to visit a bike shop or bike section online to see if somebody wants to try some, could be a good avenue for a income in your spare time....some cars could use them too !! if you had a scammer to scan a old intake that would be perfect..and a lot faster. I have a friend up in GA that has done some printed vw intakes.but I dont know what he used. keep up the great work!!
    I have a bunch of motorcycles. It is already in the future plans, side case cover gaskets as well :-) As for the lawn mowing services, I charge by the mile.

Thanks
    I have bike &4wheeler. both a little old 79&89, theres always a need for stuff for those kind of things. So Im sure you have plenty of things to try it on!! I like thats its' so plyable ,strong and dont seem to tear.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information