Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Motorcyclist survives after getting run over by semi - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,838 Times in 9,931 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 7, 2024), that_other_guy (Jan 6, 2024)

Thanks
    Survives but both he and his bike are seriously messed up.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Motorcyclist was clearly at fault in this one.

I had the misfortune to be hit by a truck (truck at fault) about 16 months ago. Let me now extol the virtues of helmet, jacket with body armor, heavy boots, and gloves -- as well as some highly useful MSF training.

When the truck made the illegal turn and cut me off, I knew I was going down one way or another, so my best hope was a controlled crash. I countersteered to avoid immediate impact and hit the brakes to scrub off speed, knowing that I'd probably flip the bike doing it. And when I got that zero gravity feeling that the bike was about to highside, I pushed hard on the pegs and bailed out. I went into the pavement right shoulder first, shattering my upper right arm from shoulder to elbow. I also broke two ribs, sprained my thumb, and cracked a cervical vertebra. But I literally did walk away. I'm just now to where I can do pullups again in the gym, but it took a lot of PT to get there.

The bike did about three somersaults down the highway. Fortunately, it ruptured a fuel line, ran out of gas, and quit running, since lying on its side it was still going. And had it continued to run, the engine bearings would have been trashed for lack of oil. I had to get the dents taken out of the tank, replace the front brake setup, replace a bent triple-tree, have a fork rebuilt, and replace a trashed exhaust pipe. But it's now back on the road and I feel comfortable riding it again. Let us now praise the durability of old Norton Commando's.

The kid in the truck was a rider on his mother's insurance policy, and she didn't put more than $30K of liability on him, so effectively he was an uninsured motorist and it was my insurance that picked up about $200,000 of medical bills.

Good kid... He stopped when he realized how badly he'd screwed up. But I have a few bones to pick with his mother for putting a teenager (and new driver) behind the wheel of a giant dually he was utterly unable to control -- and then didn't insure him adequately. So much for responsible parenting...

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Buy your son a motorcycle for his last birthday...

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Buy your son a motorcycle for his last birthday...
    Back in the day, may parents would not let me buy a street bike till I was 21. I was angry and could not understanding their reasoning. Now that I have a son that is of the age of starting to want a street bike, I find myself parenting like my parents did.....and I do not blame them one bit for their choice on this issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    Back in the day, may parents would not let me buy a street bike till I was 21.
    My Dad was an insurance agent, my siblings and I were told that the day we bought a motorcycle we had to find another roof to live under.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    For a while My dad worked at a wrecking yard. One day he came home with an old busted up Harley 45 in the back of the pickup. I spent the better part of the winter straightening it out and fixing it up One day he came home, and I had it sitting there running. He straddled it and took off on it when he cam back he didn't put the kickstand down just laid it over on its side.
    Boy when you can pick it up you can ride it. What was he thinking? A 14-year-old farm boy who had been working in a blacksmith shop since I was 11 and bucked hay in my spare time wouldn't be able to pick it up. I righted it kicked it over and took off. that thing was a real step up from my Scrambler 90 I'd been riding back and forth to work and school. talk about a chick magnet. Unfortunately, the county Sheriff magnet too though.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I had it easy I guess. One day after school, I got off the bus, walked home to my house, and found a Honda CB400F in the driveway. Mom said, "Like my new motorcycle?"

Dad was not happy, but he realized his only Plan B was divorce.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information