Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Multi-Function Scraping Tool

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools

Multi-Function Scraping Tool

Hi All, This was a project from last month and finally got it up on my website. There has been quite a few multi-use tools shared here lately so I thought I would share this one.

This tool was really inspired by This Old Tony's work on his old surface grinder rebuild and the endless scraping he did to bring it back to life and probably a lot better than it was originally. He had made some tools (they are here on the forum too) and started with old chisels and files, as I did but they are an endless chore to keep sharp. What I wanted was something with interchangeable handles, shafts and tips for various types of scraping. This is what I came up with.

Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1a_092615_web.jpg Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1_092615_web.jpg

Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1b_092615_web.jpg Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1c_092615_web.jpg

Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1d_092615_web.jpg Multi-Function Scraping Tool-scraper_pieces_finished1g_092615_web.jpg

It was a fun project and got to learn some things along the way...like single point threading on the mini as well as turning wood on it. It was also inspiring for a novice like myself to use most of the things I have learned so far in one build and try some new things. In my dissertation on the website I tried to give a lot of tips and tricks that I learned along the way. I hope others are inspired too and take it other places and new levels!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 12, 2019), C-Bag (Oct 17, 2015), darkoford (Sep 27, 2018), high-side (Jul 13, 2019), Home-PC (Dec 5, 2022), Jon (Oct 12, 2015), kbalch (Oct 13, 2015), Paul Jones (Oct 12, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Lots of good information at your website on your scraping tool build. Thanks for the tip about the pre-fluxed Harris Stay-Silv 56. Looking forward to seeing your bench plate when your precision scraping is finished.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 12, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks very much Paul. That Stay-Silv 56 works great but a bit pricey. Their product number is 56F318MPOP. If I remember 3, 18" sticks were around $25 but it works well and typically don't need much because it flows so well.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 12, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks PJs! We've added your Multi Function Scraper to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: PJ's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 11:06 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 13, 2015)

Thread Information