Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MY NEW TOOL CHEST FOR MY MACHINIST TOOLS

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Can produce woodwork, but I'm no cabinet maker. Looking up sheet goods today, as I've no sufficient or proper material for the project. I figure good cabinet ply throughout and the case of that 11 layer stuff. Veneer isn't a detraction and storing heavy tools in large drawers of solid wood sounds iffy. Haven't worded a good search for plans yet. Been sketching mentally, high-boy sized, on a riser with slots for pallet jack, flat-topped like a piano keyboard lid. Not up to doors yet. Have plenty of room to use effectively. Seems it'll be similar to map/ blueprint cabinet, just not so deep.
    Are there any woodworker sites you like?

There are a lot of plans and different approaches to machinist chests and tool boxes out there. Shopsmith magazine has featured designs over the years. I pretty sure other wood working magazines have also covered this but Shopsmith is the only wood working magazine that I have a long history with. There are books dedicated to toolboxes, one is by Iim Tolpin called The Toolbox Book.

Gerstner style toolboxes are a lot of work, something I can’t consider until retirement. If then! You mentioned dressers which in fact can be good storage solutions for the lighter bulky shop materials. The good thing here is that they can be had either free or cheap second hand. You can’t put 200 pound vises or rotary tables in them but if one is reasonable a lot of shop tools and materials can go into one.

I’ve actually have considered a toolbox with metal drawers upon which are fastened wood faces. I don’t have the tools for the sheet metal work at the moment but the idea here is that you gain a bit of area and end up with more rugged drawers. It would also expand my sheetmetal skills. I’ve even considered cast aluminum for the same skills building challenge. In either case they would run on plain runners just like a wood chest.

Currently my steel tool boxes are overflowing with several decades of tool accumulation plus stuff from my fathers passing. I really question where to put it all.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 20, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Hey Duke, fantastic work!!!!! As one that sometimes struggles to get the results I want in the wood shop I can relate to the amount of work that goes into something like this.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

DUKESALLEY's Tools
    Hi Toolmaker51 the "map/blueprint" cabinet configuration is basically the way to go other wise as you say tools will get plied on top of one another. The deepest drawer in my tool chest is 3.5" and that's for items that are large because of their cases for instance a set of 64 round hole gauges that that are in a drill index. I'm a little anal about keeping my tools in an exact order in one layer. My wife says I treat my tools as if I am displaying a butterfly collection. Even more common tools like combination wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers pliers etc. which incidentally I keep in stand up rolling metal tool chests are kept in order by size, first off it saves lots of time not having to look for something and secondly, I automatically know if one of my tools grew feet and took a walk. That's the reason for the doors on my instrument case.
    Nothing wrong with multi ply plywood we call it Baltic Birch, it's stronger and much less likely to warp. I used solid oak because I had a lot of it and I wanted to make something of a higher quality than a Gerstner chest.
    I don't visit woodworking sites much, most of them are geared towards the guy who just does woodworking on the weekends, that sounds like I'm thumbing my nose at that and seriously I'm not. The fact remains I'm 71 years old, I've been doing woodwork since I was 16 when I started serving an apprenticeship in a furniture shop with old time craftsmen who by the way were afraid to teach a new kid anything for fear they would take their job. I'm really a better woodworker than machinist so I do spend time on machinist sites and I do learn a lot on them. For ideas, I browse Pintrest or I search Google images. Well good luck with your tool box project
    Best regards, Dukes

Thanks

DUKESALLEY's Tools
    Thank you for the kind words Wizard69

Thanks
    DUKESALLEY,
    Very nice cabinet almost too nice for "just tools" also kudos for the 3 r's (reduce, recycle ,reuse)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKESALLEY View Post
    Hi Toolmaker51 the "map/blueprint" cabinet configuration is basically the way to go.....I don't visit woodworking sites much, most of them are geared towards the guy who just does woodworking on the weekends, that sounds like I'm thumbing my nose at that and seriously I'm not. The fact remains I'm 71 years old, I've been doing woodwork since I was 16 when I started serving an apprenticeship in a furniture shop with old time craftsmen who by the way were afraid to teach a new kid anything for fear they would take their job. I'm really a better woodworker than machinist so I do spend time on machinist sites and I do learn a lot on them. For ideas, I browse Pintrest or I search Google images. Well good luck with your tool box project
    Best regards, Dukes
    Long range mentoring is possible, [Hello, HMT.net!] and this ups planning by several levels. If not restricted by winter, there'd be fresh Baltic Panels next to my saw, right now. Meanwhile,time to register on Pinterest. I gave up them for content interrupted by the blocking window, long ago.
    Come on Spring!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    DUKESALLEY

Very nice work and a great use of salvaged material!
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks

DUKESALLEY's Tools
    Thank you drivermark I always try to use recycled material, I would rather spend my money on "just tools"

Thanks

DUKESALLEY's Tools
    Thank you old_toolmaker I get an extra sense of accomplishment knowing that I created something out of someone else's trash, in addition to doing my part to help save the environment. I've admired your skills since I first saw your posts
    Dukes

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks DUKESALLEY! We've added your Machinist's Tool Chest to our Toolboxes category,
    as well as to your builder page: DUKESALLEY's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Oct 26, 2021 at 10:51 PM.

Thread Information