Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Neat stone wall - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,807 Times in 9,915 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Dec 21, 2022), Ralphxyz (Dec 21, 2022), verticalmurph (Dec 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is an awesome rock wall. I had to laugh at the audio, I heard the narrator say, "This guy's been out here about 5 days now". Then toward the end he says, "He don't get a lot done in a day."

That made me laugh a little. If one guy did all of that wall in just 5 days, I have to say he is a very fast worker. That is not at all like setting bricks, or block, or even setting rock using mortar. Each rock has to be individually "adjusted" to fit. No two the same.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Smooth ashlar from rough cut is more impressive, but a fair job none the less.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    Smooth ashlar from rough cut is more impressive, but a fair job none the less.
    There may be some debate on which is more impressive. All require more skill and patience then most people can provide. I believe the more irregular designs require much more skill and artistry. A "rock" close to what is needed has to be selected from a pile, then shaped to match what is there. All the while keeping an eye on what needs to happen for the next stone to fit into place. This requires imagination, the ability to get a picture in the mind of what is not yet there. In addition to the skills required with hammer and chisel to adjust each rock.

While a straight edged rectangular block takes very similar skills with hammer and chisel, the craftsman can use a straight edge and a square to make sure the block is done correctly. He does not need imagination as all of the blocks are pretty much the same, what a few exceptions.

This is the reason there are "master" masons and those who have not and never will achieve that status.

I am confident I could take a hammer and chisel and create a rectangular block. I have chiseled rock to create flat surfaces for various landscape features.

I would never claim to have the skills or patience to build an irregular wall like the two shown below. I could however make regular stones like the bottom photo.

Neat stone wall - GIF-stone-work.jpg

An eminent sculptor was once asked: "How do you carve such beautiful statues?" He replies, "It is the simplest thing in the world. I take a hammer and chisel and from a massive, shapeless rock, I knock off all the stone I do not want, and there is the statue. It was there all the time."

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information