Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help on welding a broken 150lb vise slide

Thanks
    no jb.... no glass... you already have a good foundation for the extra support, do it right, do it one time and forget about it for ever....execpt for the war stories.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    The only war story is that as I was trying to break lose the swiveling jaw, a little 'mishap' occured.
    You know, water REALLY likes to wick in those thin flat spaces and turn to solid rust!

So, after liberal applications of Kroil and Mouse Milk, I was using a big chain wrench on the rear jaw to get it turn, and as I leaned on the cheater bar, the wrench slipped off, I was stupid enough to not have one foot behind me, and down I went - backwards!

Of course, my left hand flew back to catch my fall on the concrete floor . . .

Yeah, pain, swelling, darn near shock-induced passing-out, arguing with my wife about going to the emergency room, I said "NOW!", she said 'honey, the wrist will be OK till morning, even if it IS broken' (what a woman!)

Mr Grumpy-Pants finally agreed and off to bed on the couch with my wrist iced and elevated. Not much sleep, but four days later . . .

Yeah, she was right. And it wasn't broken.
    [sheepish grin]

BTW, my wife is the best! I mean, 38 years of ME?!
    What a woman!

2000 Tool Plans
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Nov 11, 2020)

Thanks
    30+ for me....I think we have all been their and done that in some sort of way..( wrist or something else) I once ended up in the top of a pine tree with a broken limb...well it sounded like a limb breaking.....but as it turned out it was me...now how to explain that to mom...@ 14 years old on a 61 mile long island in the Pacific a boy just cant be without his motorcycle. as it ended up I was walking out the door and my shirt caught the door handle spun me around hit the ground and crack!!!.....till we got to the er..and the dr said so what kind of dirt bike do you have?, we get these all the time.... and I got the look from mom....I stuck by my story for 45 years....I told her a few years ago.. the fun part was getting out of the top of that tree!!! ( just to clear things up I was not on my motorcycle when I broke it!! also it wasent even my motorcycle that didnt break it!!!...it was my brothers. and thats just one war story...you should hear about the time I cut off half my foot..on haloween no less.or 3 days lator on cutting off half my ass!!! or the time...oh never mind. no wonder why I dont trust DR's!!!!( also the 4 years of antibiotics to treet cancer) be ware them greedy sob will kill you and send a bill with a smile for doing so.

Thanks
    I tend to add extra support to almost everything....I would hate a broken wrist from just cracking walnut shells..or peacan shells

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information