Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum VERY OLD to making tools.

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools

Cool New to Forum VERY OLD to making tools.

Been at this for about 55 years. Worked in the oil field in Northern BC for 10 years, logging for 17 Ranching and on my own the rest of the time. Been so many places with so little I sometimes feel qualified "to do everything with nothing", as the old cliché goes. As long as you have iron, welder, torch, files, and a grinder you can almost always make something work. Made needle bearings for a wore out U-joint one time because it was about 350 miles to town. Got us by until the plane could drop one in the snow. Built gear teeth for swing gears and bevel gears on cranes a time or two. Patience is a virtue when doing that. OH a lathe and a mill is nice too. Self taught with WWII lathes that came from aircraft carriers. Loggers are known for their innovation. Semi retired now. Pastoring Flathead Valley Cowboy Church and doing some on the side. Still like to hear the beller of a big Welder from under a hood.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,033 Times in 11,404 Posts
    Hi Iron Wings - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Sounds like you have a wide range of experience that will come in handy around here. Any specific projects you're working on right now?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Iron Wings,

Welcome - glad to have you here!

What a long and interesting career! Of all the useful skills you've acquired, what's your favorite hands-on task?

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Hi Iron Wings, welcome to the forums. Your experience is definitely welcome here!

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools
    So many Projects so little time. Currently working on a set of wine bottle candelabra for my daughter. Doing a Hydraulic switch from standard controls to pilot operated. Trying to work on my shop and my shop rig. I need to build a new forge. I also have a power hammer sitting that I need to finish. Not enough hours in the day.

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools
    Pounding Iron is the way I relieve stress. Besides its neat to create something from junk. Have a number of chandeliers to make from old wheels. Building lites for the church and for a new restaurant in town.

Thanks
    Well, that'll keep you busy for awhile!

We'd love to see pics of the forge and power hammer projects…and anything else you'd like to share.

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    To each his own huh? With you, Iron Wings, it's pounding iron. That's creative of you, building chandeliers from surplus wheels.

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools
    Got to get the time to figure out how to post pictures. Will get some up soon. Hammer is covered up right now with other stuff. But portable welding table is out. Single tree lites are hung. Stands are out. The loader man really needs his loader so That will take up the next week or so. I wish now I had taken pictures of everything I have built over the years. It is easy now with the camera ( a darn good one ) in the phone.

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools
    New to Forum VERY OLD to making tools.-2010-09-01-15.43.59.jpg picture of my shop rig. Finally after 35 years a crane.
    Last edited by Iron Wings; Apr 11, 2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: learning process

Thread Information