Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: New guy

Thanks

New guy

just trying to find some plans to make a fixture to hold a c6 transmission while I'm rebuilding it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi bbadd13 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Here's a link for ideas: Homemade Transmission Tools - HomemadeTools.net

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I have not rebuilt an automatic transmission myself...those things scare me. My brother in law who was a certified mechanic told me it took him three tries his first time to get it right! Here is a link to Ford Muscle Forums where he has converted his engine stand into a transmission stand. 1966 C6 Build & Rollerization, Part 1-Tear Down - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum Good luck.

Thanks

TexBuxer's Tools

Ford A4LD transmission stand

Pieces are cut with laser, and welded. Normal 5mm steel, and pipe 60mm fits basic engine stand. This transmission has hole on the other side, bolt is through it. Other side protrusion is clamped between two steel plates. I have dxf files for cnc cutter, but they need modifications to fit different transmission.

New guy-dsc_0005.jpg
    New guy-dsc_0006.jpg
    New guy-dsc_0007.jpg
    Last edited by TexBuxer; May 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi bbadd13 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Here's a link for ideas: Homemade Transmission Tools - HomemadeTools.net
    Theres a few ways to go about it, but a bench is the best option you will have, and preferably one with a metal top. Installing or removing can be done with brute strength or with a transmission jack, however rebuilding or servicing a trans out of a vehicle should be done on a bench. Drain all the oil and start servicing it. metal benches can cost a fair penny but if you know of a used shop that sells restaurant kitchen counters you might find a good stainless steel one cheap. The reason metal benches are a bonus is the ease of moving the transmission around versus wood that the trans can dig into and cause for some tugging and pulling to position the trans where you want it, plus any oil that gets on the bench top is easily wiped off a metal bench where wood would soak it in. I hope that help, best of luck. Steve.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I've rebuilt a couple of motors, and torn down a T-5 transmission, and with some of the info I've found on the interwebs, I feel as though I could rebuild the E40D in my '93 Lightning successfully. Thanks for this.

Thanks
    I rebuilt the E4OD on my '92 F150. With the books available and the videos out there, it is pretty straight forward. There are only a couple of gotchas with respect to the one way clutches and some of the updates through the years. Just keep everything in the right order and watch the seals don't get damaged and it will be surprisingly simple. Biggest problem is just getting to a couple of the mounting bolts, and with the exhaust being in the way. Ended up just cutting some of the exhaust out of the way and patching it up on reinstall. And if you are young and strong this probably won't bother you, but for an old man with a bad back, I was cussing how big and heavy the dang thing is. Good luck.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. Good to know.

Thanks
    Hi bbadd13. Have a look at this website and maybe ask a question or two. Hope it helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-how-hard.html

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks TexBuxer! We've added your Ford A4LD transmission stand to our Transmission category,
    as well as to your builder page: TexBuxer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information